CE that changes game engine in current level into something other than R'n'D

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

RAP

CE that changes game engine in current level into something other than R'n'D

Post by RAP »

So, I've been deep into playing levelsets and even making levels based on how Emerald Mine is played, as people can see in from My topic on trying to finish and complete the various levelsets from Emerald Mine Club. I've been on and off with creating levels for my 15x15 levelset with only Emerald Mine since I'm now more specialized into how the stuff plays out than regular R'n'D; I think it would be hard for me to go back in a way.

But, what if with the power of Rocks'n'Diamonds, there would be a custom element (CE) function that would change the game engine from the current engine being R'n'D into something else while in the current level? It could be from R'n'D to Supaplex, or maybe even Emerald Mine. For the latter, I would be able to go back to my roots of being make to craft unique levels with random ever-changing randomizer elements moments before the level truly starts, one of my few achievements being in this forum aside from the various bug hunting squashing.

For other level creators, it could mean like an idea where you push boxes or CE boxes where they would be positioned, before having to unfreeze and change the game engine at the same time; just as an idea to throw out. Obviously, the limitation is that there would be no CE within the other game engines that would change it back or change it to another game engine.

I'm not sure if something like this is possible; it's certainly an extreme niche that I would ask. I had this idea also inspired from fiddling around the BD2K3 level, "Ran-dum", seeing the behind the scenes on how the level was being made away from the actual play area.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: CE that changes game engine in current level into something other than R'n'D

Post by Holger »

I perfectly understand what you mean -- using CE features to initially create the playfield, then continue with one of the non-CE engines.

I think it should be possible to do that, but I'm not sure that I will really implement this, as it seems to be too "special" to me. (But I might change my mind; at least there are some other "engine-related" CE actions, like reversing the playfield scan direction, which is used in BD2K3, if I remember correctly.)
Eizzoux

Re: CE that changes game engine in current level into something other than R'n'D

Post by Eizzoux »

I feel like that might be a little bit problematic for the game to keep track of all elements because... Aren't most of elements unsupported in these special engines doesn't that mean that once the engine switches to, let's say, Supaplex, all CE will just go away and get replaced by hardware blocks? I mean, any engine switch will just turn CE elements to dust, therefore any engine switch can occur only once per level with no way going back.
𒈟