Quick restore doesn't go to finishing save point

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

BryanFRitt

Quick restore doesn't go to finishing save point

Post by BryanFRitt »

BryanFRitt wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:49 pm EDIT4: After finishing a level and choosing to save tape and before restarting R'n'D, quick restore still goes to previous quicksave point instead of to end of level. NOTE: As it is can be a nice feature to keep as optional, like when you finish a level and want that saved, but want to go back and try something else from a point.
I use this bug used as a feature. :)
Exiting and restarting R'n'D causes quick restore to go to the end of level, so bug that is feature is gone afterwards.
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.
BryanFRitt

Re: Quick restore doesn't go to finishing save point

Post by BryanFRitt »

I believe I've seen a few times where a quick restore would go to the wrong spot(a prior save spot?), then doing a quick restore again went to the right spot.
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I have never seen that behavior so far, but maybe this is just because I do not use quick-loading/saving that often due to the problems it may cause.
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

BryanFRitt wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:46 am I believe I've seen a few times where a quick restore would go to the wrong spot(a prior save spot?), then doing a quick restore again went to the right spot.
I think I kind of got this to happen again. Not sure of the exact cause or pattern. Although, I can try to describe what I was doing.
[wow... some things are harder to explain than may look, especially when focusing on playing the game, rather than remembering/explaining what's going on. lol, This whole post might end up being b.s., hard to understand, and/or miss something important.]

On this run, playing back to latest quick save would have resulted in a character death, even though quick restore would have restored to the right place. I was attempting to start the level over. Don't remember if I had saved it here from the restart, or the earlier run, but quick restore started going to a spot earlier in the game. I restarted R'n'D this time playback went back to the character death spot, and not to the spot earlier in the game where quick restore was going to.

questions:

If the 'wrong'* quick restore was from the redo, why did the playback after R'n'D restart playback the other tape instead of this one?
If the 'wrong'* quick restore was from the earlier run, why this particular spot?

*wrong might not be right word, maybe 'earlier', or something else?

[EDIT]
This was...
Level 023 of Kimball Robinson
https://api.artsoft.org/levelsets/view/295
https://api.artsoft.org/levels/view/22470

And it happened again... at a different spot this time. Trying out seeing what doing something different along part of the tape. This time I know I didn't save the continue from middle of playback. But this time it didn't repeat going back to 'wrong' spot. Tried recreating issue again, failed. :(
[/EDIT]