Respawn Anchor crashes the game

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

SLAPPYHAPPY2000

Respawn Anchor crashes the game

Post by SLAPPYHAPPY2000 »

Hey, Holger and forum members. Hope you're all doing well.

So, a while back I made a level called "Respawn Anchors and Cheating Death". It was a short and neat little level that toyed around with a custom element that teleported you after you died. You can find the level here:
viewtopic.php?t=3128

I wanted a trip down memory lane, so I re-downloaded the level and booted Rocks'n'Diamonds up on my Windows 10 laptop. Everything was going as intended, until I got to the section with all of the red circular bombs. After blowing myself up to clear the way for the exit, the game froze as soon as I teleported to the last Respawn Anchor, and then it crashed. And this wasn't a one time thing, either... I played the level around four times, and each time it seemed to crash. It basically made the level impossible to complete. :(

I've attached a video capture of the end of my fourth attempt of the level to better show you how it crashes. I don't know if it's just a thing with me, but it seems really weird.
Attachments
RespawnAnchorCrash.zip
Video in the ZIP folder
(5.56 MiB) Downloaded 136 times
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Respawn Anchor crashes the game

Post by Holger »

Hi SH2K, thanks for this bug report!

I haven't watched the video yet, and haven't tried to reproduce that crash, but I have the suspicion that the game engine ran into an endless recursion loop somehow. (There is protection against endless loops using CEs in the game engine, but this might be a case I haven't covered.)

I'll have a look at it, and I'll write here what I found out!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

OK, I have now watched the video a few times, and played the level several times, but without any of the problems that you described and that can be seen in the video. :-/

Could you please record a tape with your progress directly before the game crashed for you? I could replay it and would therefore ensure a same or similar game state before I enter the situation that crashes the game for you.

I will also try this on Windows; have played it only on Linux so far (which is sometimes too tolerable when it comes to memory bugs and problems, which often makes it harder to stumble upon bugs early)...
SLAPPYHAPPY2000

Post by SLAPPYHAPPY2000 »

Here's the tape. I've gotten it into a situation where it always crashes on my end, no matter what I do next. The weird thing is, one of the times, it didn't crash. I think it had something to do with the fact that I paused the game or something.
Again, this was on Windows (and not the new Windows 11 either, I'm still on Windows 10!).
Attachments
001.tape
(733 Bytes) Downloaded 124 times
ncrecc

Post by ncrecc »

Crash happens for me as well with the provided tape (haven't tried playing through the full level myself yet). Windows 10, 64-bit.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I was able to reproduce the crash with the provided tape on WIndows (64-bit)! :shock: Thanks for providing this tape! :?

I wasn't able to crash the game with this tape on Linux or Mac, though, for whatever reason.

This means I have to do all debugging on Windows... *sigh* :cry:
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

This means I have to do all debugging on Windows... *sigh* 
Done that! Found the bug that caused the crash!! Fixed it!!! :D

Next patch release with the bugfix will hopefully be available very soon!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

New version that should fix that bug out now! Please check if it works for you! :)