Dripper can grow amoeba under itself when in midair in RnD engine

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

ncrecc

Dripper can grow amoeba under itself when in midair in RnD engine

Post by ncrecc »

On the left is the EM-style dropping amoeba, on the right is the invisible "dripper" amoeba from EMC. Dropping amoeba never grows directly under itself if it is suspended in mid-air, but the dripper amoeba sees no problem with that. EM treats dropping & dripper amoeba differently and does allow it to grow under itself if the growth speed is fast enough, but this bug is about two forms of amoeba in the RnD engine not acting the same when they ought to.
Eizzoux

Re: Dripper can grow amoeba under itself when in midair in RnD engine

Post by Eizzoux »

This can be explained. Unlike dripper, normal wet amoeba doesn't drop just immediately. You can even see on your gif that drop comes out of wet amoeba, what gives some time for lower drop to clean up the space, but drippers are just spawning the drops right away, and that's why higher drops are landing on the lower drops. I think that can be fixed by creating some kind of little animation sequence of drop "coming out of nowhere", which, just like for wet amoeba, would give some time for clearing the space under.
EDIT: Here's my little quick example
tog_redone_drops.rar
Redone amoeba drops
(2.35 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
𒈟
ncrecc

Re: Dripper can grow amoeba under itself when in midair in RnD engine

Post by ncrecc »

This can also happen with regular amoeba, if it happens to either side of itself.
Now we're at a minor dilemma: are "drippers growing amoeba under themselves" and "amoeba growing to the side of itself" bugs, or is "amoeba not growing under itself" a bug? I'm inclined to think the latter, since in EM, amoeba can grow on top of amoeba drips no matter where the drips are from or whether it's an EMC dripper.