Mirror Magic doesn't work when added as a levelset in RnD

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

BrownSky

Mirror Magic doesn't work when added as a levelset in RnD

Post by BrownSky »

Hi, the release notes for Mirror Magic say "This was all done by integrating the classic Mirror Magic game engine into the game Rocks’n’Diamonds as a new custom game engine, therefore using R’n’D as the new technical platform for this and any future release. This new major release of Mirror Magic is also a great example of how Rocks’n’Diamonds can be configured and customized to run as a different, stand-alone game (even though it is in fact just R’n’D with different levels and changed default artwork)."

I would rather have Mirror Magic installed as a levelset within RnD, so that I can access it from the same front end as all the other levelsets. But when I copy the Mirror Magic levels into RnD and run them, they don't work at all. I just get a mostly blank screen with only a few elements showing and nothing responding to my input.

Is there a recipe for installing Mirror Magic this way? Or can it not be done?
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Mirror Magic doesn't work when added as a levelset in RnD

Post by Holger »

I would rather have Mirror Magic installed as a levelset within RnD, so that I can access it from the same front end as all the other levelsets.
Oh well, you are not the only one! I've already got some similar requests... And indeed I wanted to put a separate Mirror Magic level set for playing with the normal R'n'D game on the "Levels & Artwork" page shortly after the Mirror Magic re-release. It's not much work, I just have to do it... :(
But when I copy the Mirror Magic levels into RnD and run them, they don't work at all. I just get a mostly blank screen with only a few elements showing and nothing responding to my input.
Oops... Maybe you just forgot to add the artwork folders? Not sure at the moment, but I think you can just copy them over, too.
Is there a recipe for installing Mirror Magic this way? Or can it not be done?
No recipe at the moment, sorry, but it can definitely be done -- in fact, it runs exactly that way on my development system, I just have to package it for the "Levels" page. I think the only reason I haven't done it already is a very little modification required for the graphics set, to prevent one or two overlapping texts or something like this.

I'll try to force myself to do this Real Soon Now[tm]... :?
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

I dunno what's the problem here, because everything works fine for me, I dropped Classic_Games from MM to RND, then all "gfx_mirrormagic", "mus_mirrormagic" and "snd_mirrormagic" from "graphics", "music" and "sounds" of MM to analogues ones of RND, and so I have everything working 100% fine.
Maybe you just missed the artworks, because RND and MM has different screens, music and door sounds, and the current version of MM is just RND with additional graphics, levels, music tracks and sounds folders.
dasli.png
dasli.png (61.93 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
𒈟
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

Yes, I confirm this already works. This is how the Vita versions of RND and MM work. MM on the Vita is literally just the RND program, but with the datafiles (artwork, music) replaced by those from MM.
BrownSky

Post by BrownSky »

Hi, thanks for the replies. After writing my first post I realized that I needed to copy across the graphics, sounds and music folders from MM, but also the files in the conf folder (I must have read this from a posting to the forum but I cannot say exactly which one). So I did all that.

The problem now is, that with the files from MM conf folder in the RND conf folder, RND plays the MM levels, and indeed behaves exactly like MM - it is MM, as you have pointed out. But when I try to load a non-MM levelset, it loads with the MM look - heat and fuel instead of gems and dynamite and keys, 12 rows by 16 columns instead of 17 by 17, the buttons all at the bottom, etc.

If I rename the setup.conf file in \conf, RND reverts to the classic look (unless the last levelset was a MM levelset). and when I start one of the MM levels, the level loads with all icons, and the laser beam fires, but when I click on one of the mirrors to change its orientation, nothing happens. Thus I cannot play the levels.

When I read the contents of setup.conf it doesn't appear to contain anything that should influence mouse behavior. I also copied the gamecontrollerdb.txt file from MM, but this doesn't seem to make any difference - it seems to be setup.conf that determines whether the mouse clicks work or not.

I don't want to have to use the setup.conf file from MM as it spoils the non-MM experience. I just want to be able to seamlessly switch between, say, Deflektor and Boulderdash, and have them both work without having to quit RND and rename the setup.conf file!
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

BrownSky wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:05 pm Hi, thanks for the replies. After writing my first post I realized that I needed to copy across the graphics, sounds and music folders from MM, but also the files in the conf folder (I must have read this from a posting to the forum but I cannot say exactly which one). So I did all that.

The problem now is, that with the files from MM conf folder in the RND conf folder, RND plays the MM levels, and indeed behaves exactly like MM - it is MM, as you have pointed out. But when I try to load a non-MM levelset, it loads with the MM look - heat and fuel instead of gems and dynamite and keys, 12 rows by 16 columns instead of 17 by 17, the buttons all at the bottom, etc.

If I rename the setup.conf file in \conf, RND reverts to the classic look (unless the last levelset was a MM levelset). and when I start one of the MM levels, the level loads with all icons, and the laser beam fires, but when I click on one of the mirrors to change its orientation, nothing happens. Thus I cannot play the levels.

When I read the contents of setup.conf it doesn't appear to contain anything that should influence mouse behavior. I also copied the gamecontrollerdb.txt file from MM, but this doesn't seem to make any difference - it seems to be setup.conf that determines whether the mouse clicks work or not.

I don't want to have to use the setup.conf file from MM as it spoils the non-MM experience. I just want to be able to seamlessly switch between, say, Deflektor and Boulderdash, and have them both work without having to quit RND and rename the setup.conf file!
You shouldn't have done that, Mirror Magic uses gfx_mirrormagic as default, so you made RND use it instead of gfx_classic as default. Check Setup>Custom Artwork, there will be all Mirror Magic Graphics, Sounds and Music instead of Classic ones. Try changing them back and also set all "Override level [gfx/snd/mus]" as No instead of Auto, so the game will be using only Levelset's resources as primary and Classic gfx/mus/snd as secondary sets.
dfdsa.png
dfdsa.png (198.25 KiB) Viewed 4068 times
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

That's right, to play the MM levels in MM look in R'n'D, just copy over the artwork directories, but do not copy over the "conf" directory -- that's indeed what "changes R'n'D to MM".

Regarding not being able to control the MM game elements (mirrors etc.) with the mouse, please have a look at the "virtual button" settings and make sure they are set to "off". This is a bug in the last version that will be fixed with the next version, that prevents mouse control in MM style levels from working correctly. The next version of R'n'D should work fine regarding mouse usage in MM style levels, regardless of how "virtual buttons" are configured.
BrownSky

Post by BrownSky »

Hi, thanks for the replies, that makes sense. Regarding the setting for the virtual buttons, I didn't need to make that setting, because in the meantime I had upgraded from 4.1.0.0 to the 20180907 version, and this didn't have the problem.

So one way or another, case closed!