button assignment for Amazon Firet TV GAme Controller

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

mrbarnie

button assignment for Amazon Firet TV GAme Controller

Post by mrbarnie »

Hello,

I love this game very much and I highly appreciate that it works on AFTV stick and the game controller.
Any chance to use the red markes buttons instead of the blue onces?

Is there any chance to realize a of full screen experience and dont show the right column?

THanks
MrBarnie
Attachments
right information column.PNG
right information column.PNG (85.44 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
button assignment.PNG
button assignment.PNG (243.69 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
Holger
Site Admin

Re: button assignment for Amazon Firet TV GAme Controller

Post by Holger »

Hello MrBarnie, welcome to the forum! :-)
I love this game very much and I highly appreciate that it works on AFTV stick and the game controller.
Thank you! :)
Any chance to use the red markes buttons instead of the blue onces?
Yes, this should easily be possible!

I assume that the Amazon FireTV game controller is not fully supported "out of the box" (but only with the "blue" buttons) -- there has to be an entry in R'n'D's game controller database for each controller to be supported right away, and probably there's no already existing default entry for this controller. But that should be no problem: Just enter menu "Setup", then "Input Devices", then click on "Device:" to select the joystick entry for the Amazon game controller. Click on "Configure" and check that it's not the FireTV remote control (if so, press the "back" button), but the Amazon controller. Now just follow the instructions on the screen to configure each axis and button. As the Amazon game controller is very similar to the "default" (Xbox style) game controller, this should be straight forward. (You may have to skip some special buttons, like the "home" button on the controller, which would take you back to the FireTV main menu.)

After configuring the Amazon game controller, you should be able to use the "red" buttons for playing and in the menues.

I will try to find the correct settings entry for this controller, to be able to fully support it "out of the box" in the next release of R'n'D for Android!

Hope this helps! Please let me know if it works for you! :-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Nearly forgot about your second question:
Is there any chance to realize a of full screen experience and dont show the right column?
Well, you do need the game panel and controls somewhere (even though the controls indeed cannot be used on the FireTV without an additional pointing device). But it would be possible to define an alternative graphics set that places the panel and controls at the top or bottom of the screen, therefore giving more room for the playfield. Maybe I will add such an alternative artwork set to the next version of the game. It could then be configured in the "custom artwork" section of the setup menu.
mrbarnie

Post by mrbarnie »

Hi Holger,

thank you very much for your really quick reply!!!
I will follow your hint regarding button assignment and let you know if it worked.

Regarding FullScreenMode I am looking forward for the next release ;-)

Have a great day.

Greetings
Bernhard
mrbarnie

Post by mrbarnie »

Hi Holger,

i followed your steps. Unfortunately i get a "Fatal Error"

Any further hints for me?
Should I copy a controller.png file into this directory?

THanks for your help in advance.

Bernhard
Attachments
fatal error.jpg
fatal error.jpg (51.61 KiB) Viewed 6373 times
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Aaargh! Thanks for that photo! :shock:

Indeed, the image files for the controller configuration page are missing from the Android package of version 4.0.1.0! :o

I've re-packaged the APK with the missing files -- please re-download and try again!

I will also add a note to the R'n'D home page about this issue... Thanks again!
mrbarnie

Post by mrbarnie »

thanks for your asap help!!!!

have a great weekend.

best regards
bernhard
mrbarnie

Post by mrbarnie »

Hi,

if you plan to add such a feature -which offers a full screen experience - this would be really really cool.
What if this control element will show only if you want to exit the game. Like a popup?
This would give the best experience during the game?

It was just a thought,

Have a great day
Bernhard
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Hello Bernhard,

I'm not sure if I understand you right here -- did you mean showing the game panel (that thing on the right displaying time, score etc.) only when pressing the "back" button? Or do you mean not displaying the game panel it at all, and opening that "do you really want to quit" request as a popup?

I think a good solution for fullscreen graphics cold look like this:

- show game panel info (time, score...) in a small row at the top or bottom of the screen
- show/answer all requests as a popup requestor

Regarding the panel info values, it would be nice to be able to display them transparently over the playfield area (which would then fill the whole screen). This is currently not possible using graphics customization, but could be added some time...