[DEMO] Cave Chaos 2 in R'n'D

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

[DEMO] Cave Chaos 2 in R'n'D

Post by Eizzoux »

I didn't progress the levelset for so long, because I began something different but todey I decided to upload at least demo of it with levels you can see in this video: Video
There're only five levels, all those 5 levels are just test levels. Only title, main and levels list menus and in-game interface are done. Editor is... well... It is redone to be looking at least pretty close to the original game's editor interface.
Download
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Re: [DEMO] Cave Chaos 2 in R'n'D

Post by Holger »

Wow, cool game and cool menu and custumizations! :D

Really looks like a completely new game! :shock:

I stumbled upon the requester ("Do you really want to quit?" etc.) a bit, as it takes *very* long to open, but this can easily be fixed, of course.

BTW: I've fixed the download link (it missed the leading "https://") so download should work fine now.

I've played the first level a bit, and it really looks close to the original (as I watched it from one of your YouTube videos) -- great work!
Eizzoux

Original games

Post by Eizzoux »

Actually, I should post original Cave Chaos game series here to see comparison (and not only for that), so here we go ;)
Cave Chaos 1-4 by Spam&Cheese (Simon Moore)
𒈟
Eizzoux

Cave Chaos 2 in R'n'D - Request window upd

Post by Eizzoux »

I changed the request window. For me it doesn't load for so long now, not sure about all yours. Just put the file from this archive in "graphics" folder in the levelset folder:
Archive
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Re: [DEMO] Cave Chaos 2 in R'n'D

Post by Holger »

Just checked it again, and no, unfortunately, it took the same very long time (at least for me and on my system) as before.

But: As I found out, the reason for this odd behaviour is a bug in how R'n'D handles envelope timing, so it is not your fault! :-D

The bug is triggered by the line "request.step_delay: 0" in your config file "interface.conf", which causes the initial opening phase of the request envelope to take 1024 * 20 ms, which is about 20 seconds (before the dialog is visible). (There are two phases of envelope animation: Opening horizontally, then vertically; the first phase (that takes so long) is invisible in your graphics set.)

There are two possible workarounds that you could immediately apply to file "interface.conf" to fix the problem without waiting for the bug to be fixed in R'n'D itself:

Variant 1: Change line "request.step_delay: 0" to "request.step_delay: 2"

This will fix the timing problem and let the first (invisible) opening animation run with maximum speed (while assuming a minimum step offset of "1", despite your setting "request.step_offset: 0").

Variant 2 (even better): Add a new line "request.anim_mode: vertical"

This will skip the first (invisible, horizontal) envelope opening animation completely, immediately showing the visible (vertical) opening animation.

You will get the best results by using both variants (even though each of them is sufficient to fix the initial problem).

Thanks a lot for bringing my attention to this bug in R'n'D! I will fix this timing problem for the next version of R'n'D.
Eizzoux

CC2 Demo 2: Start animation

Post by Eizzoux »

I tried to recreate start animation from original game with global anims. Sadly, it only works for levels where player starts in top left corner, and also the "LEVEL: 1" text appears for every level, so I left only first level. And also music starts immediately unlike in the original game. I hope we'll be able to make different global anims for each level and also change music start delaying or something.
Btw, here: Demo 2
𒈟