Creating new levels

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Sandancer2017

Creating new levels

Post by Sandancer2017 »

Hi all I'm an old Amiga user who used to co-run EMCGB with a good friend of mine DenisF (Denmine Series), I love Rock n Diamonds, but how do you create a new level set in the editor, when i click on Level Editor it says "This is a Read Only File", I dont want to alter the level someone created, as my son says he will create some levels aswell. Thank you
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Creating new levels

Post by Holger »

Hello Sandancer, welcome to the forum! Great to have some folks from the golden Amiga era here, and even somebody actively involved with the Emerald Mine Club! Cool! :-)

But now to your question: This is a strange case of telepathy -- just yesterday evening, I thought that it would really be useful to add a third tab to the level editor configuration ("CONF") screen to be able to easily create new level sets directly from the game/editor, without having to fiddle around in the filesystem! So apparently this would really be useful.

Until such a feature exists, just create a new sub-directory in your personal R'n'D levels directory, which is something like the following:

- Linux: ~/.rocksndiamonds/levels
- Mac OS X: Rocks’n’Diamonds/levels in your Documents folder
- Windows: Rocks’n’Diamonds/levels in your My Documents folder

So, for example, create a sub-directory .../levels/my_cool_levels_1 and, inside that new directory, create a file "levelinfo.conf" with the following minimal content (have a look at existing levels sets for some more options):

Code: Select all

name:                           My Cool Levels 1
author:                         Sandancer

levels:                         100
Restart R'n'D, and voila: You should be able to find the new (empty) level set with up to 100 levels when navigating to the "levelset" screen!

Hope it works for you (and for your son -- my little daughter also just recently started creating some levels in R'n'D on an Android tablet, currently being more interested in "painting" nice, colorful levels than playing them :-) ).

EDIT: Forgot to mention that there is always one empty level set with the username that is not read-only, as a start for creating own levels. (But of course if several people want to create levels, they want to have their own!) Then, the steps above don't work that well with the Android version, as access to the filesystem is not as straight-forward as on a classic PC or Mac. (So my daughter indeed created their levels in the "default" user level set automatically created after the first start of the program.)
Sandancer2017

Post by Sandancer2017 »

Thanks for the reply mate installing RnD as we speak on his PC :D , so watch out both of us will create levels (yippee). Also "Once an Emerald Mine you are Always a fan". I aint give up yet on looking for the missing mines we all need, as Steffest mentioned in his post. I still got several BBS cd's to go through so keep everything crossed. Keep up the excellent work, I've even made an Emerald Mines Facebook group. Dunno if I can put link in here (let me know if I can, we there will be other ways to get Emerald Mines fans new or old.....
filbo

Post by filbo »

I am amused because the emc_denmine* mines are where I currently am in my ongoing play...
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I've even made an Emerald Mines Facebook group. Dunno if I can put link in here (let me know if I can
Yes, no problem. I'm not an active Facebook user, but feel free to let others join that group! (And I will most probably have a look with my otherwise unused Facebook account. ;-) )
Sandancer2017

Facebook Group

Post by Sandancer2017 »

Everyone is welcome

https://www.facebook.com/groups/188104988357723/

I've only just created it so not much on ATM