R'n'D in widescreen?

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

DioramStudio

R'n'D in widescreen?

Post by DioramStudio »

I was just curious if anyone has plans for a widescreen version of R'n'D.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: R'n'D in widescreen?

Post by Holger »

The next version has custom artwork configuration options to freely define the window/screen size when playing a level set that uses this custom artwork. As there are level sets that rely on the "classic" screen proportions, like "Snake Bite", these sets will still be played with the old/default screen size.

For the next version of R'n'D it is planned to include such an artwork set (or maybe even more than one, for different screen sizes) to play all level sets without custom artwork with these changed screen proportions. This will make it possible to use the whole screen (which may be a widescreen) with these levels, which is particularly useful for playing R'n'D in fullscreen mode on mobile devices with a widescreen. The upcoming Android version of R'n'D will most probably has such a widescreen artwork set as the default artwork set (just like R'n'D jue, which also comes with a different default artwork set).
DioramStudio

Post by DioramStudio »

That sounds great, Holger. Please let me know when that version is released!
Eizzoux

R'n'D in WIDESCREEN!

Post by Eizzoux »

Okay, what about this thing?
𒈟
DioramStudio

Post by DioramStudio »

Hi there Eizzoux,

I tried out your new graphicsinfo code (by having it in the graphics folder like you recommended).
I also tried taking the code, and pasting it into the bottom of the original graphicsinfo file. This method also worked.

This widescreen mode works great - I'm really excited about it.
There's only one problem I'm having with it:
In the graphics folder, there's the title.pcx file. The original file is 548 by 548 pixels.
In order to prevent the original title file from not "repeating itself" or "tessellating" in the widescreen version, I had to change the width to 676.
This works perfectly. However, when I boot up R'n'D, the title.pcx doesn't appear. But... if I start playing a level, then exit the level, the title.pcx will appear then.
If we could get the title to appear when R'n'D first loads, that would fix the issue.

Your widescreen adaptation is really fantastic. I think it would be awesome to figure out how to eliminate the 32-pixel border that surrounds the playing field. Doing this would allow you to move around in a 21x17 block area without causing the screen to move or "pan". The border doesn't annoy me that much, and I am happy to update Tigris Mythos without this change, but if you're interested in doing it, I would like to know.

Best wishes!
Eizzoux

Thanks!

Post by Eizzoux »

Ok, thank you! :)
And I planned to make more other screens modes.
For example: Supaplex level to show all the level in classic Supaplex, Mini-puzzle screen mode to play very little games in small screen and mobile screen mode to play the game like in the cell-phone (this is fun X) ).
What do you think 'bout it, huh?
𒈟
DioramStudio

Post by DioramStudio »

Hi Eizzoux,

I created two (fake) RnD screenshots to show how the widescreen code affects the screen.
The blue areas represent new space that your code has made possible. In the second image, the yellow area is new space that would open up if we made the right-hand panel smaller.
Creating a widescreen version that condenses the panel would allow a playing field that's 25x16 spaces. I'm not sure that you could make this possible, but I love thinking that someone could.

There are some difficulties with this idea - the level editor has buttons that don't appear in normal play. It might be necessary for the editor to have its own specific panel code.
I would love to promote and take RnD to convention tours with a version of the game that has a maximized playing field. Your widescreen update makes this somewhat possible.
Attachments
RnD WS Pic - Jpeg.JPG
RnD WS Pic - Jpeg.JPG (142.81 KiB) Viewed 12877 times
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Hi DioramStudio,

very funny -- your fake screenshots somehow look quite similar to a test level set playable with the current development version, which extends screen, playfield and control panel size properties even more. Have a look at it! :-)
Attachments
custom_viewports.png
custom_viewports.png (402.58 KiB) Viewed 12856 times
filbo

Post by filbo »

"4.0.0"! :)