dying while dropping stones

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

dave

dying while dropping stones

Post by dave »

if you run along and drop the stones on the eaters (without stopping), sometimes you die on the way through for no reason. it happens with keys and dynamite etc. instead of emeralds too.
if you manage to kill them all, there are too many stones left over, it is different to the emerald mine engine
Sascha

Post by Sascha »

The rocks are not the reason for your death:
If you run over, next to or underneath yamyams and you
are not lucky they move into you in the moment you pass them.
dave

Post by dave »

Sascha wrote:The rocks are not the reason for your death:
If you run over, next to or underneath yamyams and you
are not lucky they move into you in the moment you pass them.
they dont move at all, but you still die sometimes.
Sascha

Post by Sascha »

yes, of course they don't move, because the way is blocked by the sand, but they still always try to move, to all directions. If you walk over the yamyams, it is possible that they try to move up.
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

yea sacha's right, they try to move in all directions although they don't :| ,
so if for example if you were running past a yam yam it would try to move into you and you would die
:mrgreen:
Last edited by oblivion on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like Halo 3!

Oblivion (too)
Forty-niner

Post by Forty-niner »

Solution: try starting to move at different times. I found that given the same conditions Yam-yams will always move on the same path.
dave

Post by dave »

Sascha wrote:yes, of course they don't move, because the way is blocked by the sand, but they still always try to move, to all directions. If you walk over the yamyams, it is possible that they try to move up.
it doesnt happen with a line of aliens instead of eaters. and it never happens in emerald mine.
Sascha

Post by Sascha »

>it doesnt happen with a line of aliens instead of eaters.

I already made a post about a very similar "bug".
Look it up here.
dave

Post by dave »

Sascha wrote:>it doesnt happen with a line of aliens instead of eaters.

I already made a post about a very similar "bug".
the aliens are acting like in emerald mine.
in emerald mine you are protected when you walk through things like dirt, collect emeralds keys etc. even if a rock falls on you while you are walking through dirt you are protected. it's always been like that since the beginning. there are lots of puzzles which work like that. even simple things like my example at the top should work.
but not in rocks'n'diamonds. the r'n'd aliens seems to be 'fixed', but eaters and other things arent.
why do aliens (which comes from emerald mine) and eaters (also from emerald mine) not act like they do in emerald mine? is there supposed to be compatibility?
Sascha

Post by Sascha »

I usually never play in Emerald Mine engine, I dunno.
Maybe someone who does knows the answer.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> if you run along and drop the stones on the eaters (without stopping),
> sometimes you die on the way through for no reason. it happens with keys
> and dynamite etc. instead of emeralds too.

Yep, that's right.

> it doesnt happen with a line of aliens instead of eaters. and it never
> happens in emerald mine.

Correct. R'n'D and Emerald Mine differ here. I once changed (well, fixed) this for aliens (robots) a long time ago. Apparently I missed that yamyams/eaters should behave the same.

> but not in rocks'n'diamonds. the r'n'd aliens seems to be 'fixed', but eaters
> and other things arent.

Yup...

> why do aliens (which comes from emerald mine) and eaters (also from
> emerald mine) not act like they do in emerald mine? is there supposed to
> be compatibility?

Not at the beginning, and not anymore. When I started R'n'D, I wrote it with Emerald Mine in mind, but not as a clone (which explains some early non-EM elements in R'n'D, and some others in EM but missing in R'n'D). Later I tried to get enough compatibility to play at least the 101 original Emerald Mine levels (but not those from the sequels, let alone those from the myriads of EMC disks). Now with the native EM/EMC engine there is no need anymore to try to achieve 100% EM/EMC compatibility with the R'n'D engine.

I hope I will be able to replace the current native EM/EMC engine with the updated, even more accurate (?) one from you one day, although I won't have enough time for this task for the next few months, I'm afraid. :-(
dave

Post by dave »

Holger wrote:> is there supposed to
> be compatibility?

Not at the beginning, and not anymore.
then why do you add emerald mine objects, which are not implemented properly, in your program?
Holger wrote:I hope I will be able to replace the current native EM/EMC engine with the updated, even more accurate (?) one from you one day, although I won't have enough time for this task for the next few months, I'm afraid. :-(
there's about 4 fixed bugs and 1 new feature of infinitely wide caves.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

dave wrote: then why do you add emerald mine objects, which are not implemented properly, in your program?
I hope Holger doesn't mind me answering this first but, why should he implement them exactly? Why go to all the trouble of creating and programming RnD just to have another Emerald Mine? RnD's engine is a lot smoother and broader than EM's; the EM elements are just one set out of many. RnD is it's own entity and objects don't necessarily have to behave exactly the same as a much older game engine.
Those who can't learn will teach; those who can't teach will learn.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

I agree with RTADash.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> then why do you add emerald mine objects, which are not implemented
> properly, in your program?

I thought I had answered this at length when writing this:

>> When I started R'n'D, I wrote it with Emerald Mine in mind, but not as a
>> clone (which explains some early non-EM elements in R'n'D, and some
>> others in EM but missing in R'n'D). Later I tried to get enough compatibility
>> to play at least the 101 original Emerald Mine levels (but not those from the
>> sequels, let alone those from the myriads of EMC disks). Now with the
>> native EM/EMC engine there is no need anymore to try to achieve 100%
>> EM/EMC compatibility with the R'n'D engine.

So that's the only reason why the EM style elements in the R'n'D engine don't behave like those in the original game. (Just have a look at the "doors" and "gates" in the R'n'D engine: I started with the "doors", which behave significantly different to the EM gates, and added the "gates" later to be able to play the classic EM levels which needed the different behaviour. Another example: Having slightly more aggressive yamyams than in the classic game didn't prevent those levels from being solvable, so I kept them as they were.)