Sources and PalmOS3.5 port (Splitted from supaplex scissors)

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Post by Guest »

Holger

I am working on PalmOS3.5 port of Rocks and Diamonds, so I work hard on sources.

There are some places in code which I rewrote for better speed on 16MHz Motorola (now I have about 20-25 fps at Diamond Mine I). So if you want I can talk about it.
DiPal

Post by DiPal »

Forgot to log in :)
Previous post was mine.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Splitted from viewtopic.php?t=26 for probably oubvious reasons.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I am working on PalmOS3.5 port of Rocks and Diamonds, so I work hard on sources.

That sounds like a really ambitious project, regarding the usual hardware PalmOS runs on, and regarding the actual system requirements of R'n'D!

> There are some places in code which I rewrote for better speed on 16MHz Motorola
> (now I have about 20-25 fps at Diamond Mine I).

That's a *really* good value for 16 MHz, I must admit! :-o

> So if you want I can talk about it.

Yes, of course! I'm very interested! Too bad that I only have an old Vx where it won't run... :-(
DiPal

Post by DiPal »

Holger
That sounds like a really ambitious project, regarding the usual hardware PalmOS runs on, and regarding the actual system requirements of R'n'D!
Of course, there are some big limitations: no CE, only default graphic, no sound and music, not-soft scrolling . But now I can play first 39 levels of rnd_tutorial_niko_boehm (there is a bug with gravity on 40th level) absolutly in the same way as in RnD. (so almost all logic, graphic and animation from RnD is working fine).
Too bad that I only have an old Vx where it won't run... :-(
Upgrade to 3.5 by downloading new ROM and you can play!
http://www.palmone.com/us/support/35upg ... grade.html
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Of course, there are some big limitations: no CE, only default graphic, no sound and music,
> not-soft scrolling . But now I can play first 39 levels of rnd_tutorial_niko_boehm (there is a
> bug with gravity on 40th level) absolutly in the same way as in RnD. (so almost all logic,
> graphic and animation from RnD is working fine).

That's really great!! :-)

> Upgrade to 3.5 by downloading new ROM and you can play!
> http://www.palmone.com/us/support/35upg ... grade.html

How much memory is needed for the upgrade and the PalmOS R'n'D version?
I think that old beast has only 8 megabytes of RAM... :-/

BTW: From where can I get the R'n'D PalmOS version? In any case, I would like to have a look at the sources! :-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Upgrade to 3.5 by downloading new ROM and you can play!

Just noticed that I already have PalmOS version 3.5.0. (Can this be true? I have this device since a few years now...)

If that would be OK, I would indeed still need the program itself (and the source code, please!) . :-)
DiPal

Post by DiPal »

Holger
Just noticed that I already have PalmOS version 3.5.0.
Well, it is very good!

I think that old beast has only 8 megabytes of RAM... :-/

I have Palm M105 with 8Mb, but I can tell that on Palm M100 ROM with 2Mb game works as on my device:)

If that would be OK, I would indeed still need the program itself (and the source code, please!) .
I will send you all at monday. (now I haven't it at work - only home, And Internet I have only at work - too expensive for home)

P.S. program is 260Kb only:)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Of course, there are some big limitations: no CE, only default graphic, no sound and music,
> not-soft scrolling . But now I can play first 39 levels of rnd_tutorial_niko_boehm (there is a
> bug with gravity on 40th level) absolutly in the same way as in RnD. (so almost all logic,
> graphic and animation from RnD is working fine).

BTW: Is this a bug you also encounter in the "full" game (3.1.0 for Windows or Linux), or does it only happen in your stripped-down version?

> I have Palm M105 with 8Mb, but I can tell that on Palm M100 ROM with 2Mb game works as
> on my device:)

Sounds great!

> I will send you all at monday.

I'm very curious! :-)

> P.S. program is 260Kb only:)

That's *really* stripped down! :-)
DiPal

Post by DiPal »

BTW: Is this a bug you also encounter in the "full" game (3.1.0 for Windows or Linux), or does it only happen in your stripped-down version?
No, this is only Palm-port bug.
That's *really* stripped down! :-)
See PM:)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

WOW!!! Great work! :-)

I've just run it on my Palm Vx and I'm really impressed about the speed and the small size!

I hope you will offer it soon to others, too! :-)

I would be happy to provide a nice place on my web site for it! :-)
Rockford557

Post by Rockford557 »

DiPal, when can you release it?
DiPal

Post by DiPal »

Rockford557

Release date is unknown, because there are some features I'd like to include (tape load/save, envelope text showing, friendly user interface), but absolutely have no time for it...

BTW, current version is greyscale lo-res only.