A tutorial for Custom Element creation

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Francesco

A tutorial for Custom Element creation

Post by Francesco »

Hi all, here you can get a small document I've wrote, since I've been asked to:
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/info.php?f=416

This is definitely a draft, I still consider myself a newbie, so it could contain even bad errors.

Even if the explainations given in the document could be wrong, the CEs do work correctly in the levelset:
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/info.php?f=417

I don't know if it's too easy even for beginners, or if I explained the things in a too tricky way, hope you'll give me directions about it.

Please let me know what you think about it, if it's the case to go on with more sections or if it uses the wrong approach: all ideas/opinions will be welcome.
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
asiekierka

Post by asiekierka »

I've work for documentation for beginners which read your draft.
(STOP WORKING, please delete that post)
Last edited by asiekierka on Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
GraphicsPack project: 90%
IconXT project: 100% (version final is ready)
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I've added a section about pulling CEs, and I've fixed a "left/right" word mistake.
Use the links in the first post, I've updated them.
I've noticed that nobody downloaded the levelset. You should try it, even more if you didn't read the draft. The last one is a bit tricky...
Francesco
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Cool. You are faster than light..
I read some lines and it's clearly so far.
If I found time at the weekend i follow your instructions and test your levelset.
Continue, Add it to Flumminator's wiki ...
And always thought about that a beginners instruction should may be write from beginners because profis have a other sight of them..
But I think very soon you become a profi...
And the answer is ... 42 !
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Thank you Herz, you're very kind and optimistic!

I've updated the work with some sections and fixed some errors, if someone could please check its English, I would be really thankful.

Not to speak about fixing technical errors, there is a lot of people who could help in this.

Just hoping they'll check the forum soon :)
Francesco
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I had a quick look at your tutorial -- great work! :-) :-o

Martijn, would you like to add this tutorial to your BD fan site (as long as my site does not have a decent documentation area, where I could easily put it into)?
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Holger wrote: Martijn, would you like to add this tutorial to your BD fan site (as long as my site does not have a decent documentation area, where I could easily put it into)?
Yes, I always write the new levels that appear on the forum down on a piece of paper and upload it as soon as possible. Now the list is growing bigger and bigger... especially Francesco is producing much... :)

I intended to upload it all today.

Francesco, would you mind if I took some of your levels and put them all together in one levelset (except when they are very special, so that they need to be a levelset themselves)? Otherwise there will be many one-level levelsets in the Additional Player Levels section of my site...
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Thank you Holger, I'm adding more sections, hope that you'll have the time to take a look to the whole draft because there are a lot of things about the "strings behind the puppets" that I do not know...

No Martijn, I would not mind at all, I would thank you for that! Maybe I'll make levelsets out of each technique I used in the single-level sets, but until then a single levelset containing them all is needed indeed.
Francesco
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Since I've added some other section, I've updated the above links.

No more sections planned for the moment, I think it's better to wait for a serious check-up.

[edit]
The universal cloner made with the "element triggering change" and the "hit by something" option has been widely used long before, while I wrote about it "I'm even doubting about the fact that this technique was intended to work at all".
Surely you understand that my work must receive a strong review in order to be used by real beginners.
I don't want that my wrong ideas obstruct the knowledge of this game, and there must be wrong ideas since I've figured out half of the techniques described while I was writing the draft and practicing with it.
I thank you in advance for your help.
[/edit]
Francesco
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I post it as a new message because it is very important for me:

The above "edit" would mean that if Martijn will put it on his site, he shall express clearly that this draft is *not official* and that *it contains errors*.

Thank you Martijn.
Francesco
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Francesco wrote:I post it as a new message because it is very important for me:

The above "edit" would mean that if Martijn will put it on his site, he shall express clearly that this draft is *not official* and that *it contains errors*.

Thank you Martijn.
yes, I will update the file on my website and mention the things you say there as soon as possible, within one or two days (maybe today, but I'm not sure).
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!