Alan's Random Levels v2 : level 7

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Tomi

Alan's Random Levels v2 : level 7

Post by Tomi »

http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=22

Although an interesting algorithm, there doesn't seem to be any exit, is this ok?
(And also there isn't any envelope describing the algorithm features as in previous levels.)
Alan

Post by Alan »

Although an interesting algorithm, there doesn't seem to be any exit, is this ok?
No it isn't ;-)

I can't even remember how I did them to tell you the truth, but it was before we had the handy group elements,which makes things like this much easier ;-)
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

I consider those algorithms much better than those using group elements (not that group elements would be bad, but algorithms using only group elements aren't very good). Those are the best random levels I've seen...anyway, an exit is useful thingy... :)
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

What about an update, alan?
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Alan

Post by Alan »

algorithms using only group elements aren't very good
Oh, why do you say that? Because it takes more effort to do it without help from GEs? They certainly help for the randomness of a level. I recall using moving CEs (which start moving random) to get the magic number, a pretty poor way I reckon.
What about an update, alan?
Yep, they're fun to make! (regardless of how unpopular they are) and I'll defiantly do something like that again, only better ;-).
I had actually coded a random game maker (full 100 levels) using a "seed" you could share, never finished it though.... anybody got it?

Anyway, I had put a lot of different maze algorithms in it (easy to do through code). What would be great is to put one of these in a level using only CEs. It's do-able, but it would take a lot of planning first.

Then again, maze levels imo are a bit boring... more fun making them then playing them!
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

algorithms using only group elements aren't very good
Yes the random generator could be done easier with them, I've meant that your mazes are better than, for example, this one.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Well, alan! I would say: release as much as you can! Something is always better than nothing!
In the additional supaplex levels, there's a levelset with only mazes. Very boring, but I even wanted this one, because all these levelsets are a kind of gadget for me! And playing one such a level from time to time is a nice alternation.

Actually, I like your random levels very much. Sometimes, after a workday, you don't want to play tricky levels like BD2K3 has, but just a simple run-collect-and-finish level. Just like many of the old C64 Boulder Dash levels (as far as I know)!
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!