It is not running!

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

It is not running!

Post by Guest »

I hope there's anybody out there who can help me with this problem:
A few months ago I downloaded Rocks'n'Diamonds and it worked perfectly. Then I didn't have the time to play for some weeks; when I wanted to play again: no chance, the programme did not start at all. I deleted the old files and downloaded the game once again, but again the same problem. Although the menu appears it's not possible to do anything with the game.

Any ideas to solve the problem?
Thnks a lot. :D
atd

Post by atd »

Can you give any terminal output or error message? Which platform (Operating System) are you using? What versions?

It's not running

Post by Guest »

There's is no error message. Nothing happens.
System: Windows XP Home edition. Version 2002.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Can you please look for a file "stderr.txt" or "stdout.txt" in the game directory? If there is a problem recognized by R'n'D, it is usually reported there.

Then you might try to also remove the R'n'D folder from the "My Documents" folder, which contains setup files which might cause trouble (so deleting that folder will restart with fresh, default config files). ATTENTION: This folder also contains your own levels and tapes, which you might want to keep! In this case, just rename the personal R'n'D folder, so you can rename it back later if needed.

It is not running

Post by Guest »

That's what stderr.txt file says:

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Useri\Desktop\Games\Rocks'n'Diamonds\rocksndiamonds-3.1.0\rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot open configuration file 'C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\User\Eigene Dateien/Rocks'n'Diamonds/editorsetup.conf'

Any idea what can be done about editorsetup.conf'?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Any idea what can be done about editorsetup.conf'?

Hm, no, that one is harmless (and should not even generate a warning)...

I still have no idea what might happen here. So the program does not terminate itself, but just sits there with the main menu visible? And neither mouse-clicks nor cursor movement (up/down) show any reaction inside the menu?

Post by Guest »

That's it, exactly.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

I recognize this problem... it might have occoured to me some time, but I'm not sure about the cause.

Check if the program is responding, by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete to view the Task Manager
Also make sure that the program is highlighted, that it has focus (it should get focus when you click with the mouse inside the window).
And one more thing... make sure that your keyboard and mouse is working (I hope - and guess - that you've already checked this though) :) ;)