Wiki targetted by some damn worm?

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Zomis

Wiki targetted by some damn worm?

Post by Zomis »

When I look at the wiki, there seems to be links on 5 of the wikipages to some strange sites. I suspect that it's about drugs.
So Flummi, if you can, restore an old backup. Or else I'll change it back manually.

Maybe this isn't a worm, maybe it's just some weird guy wanting to mess things up.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> When I look at the wiki, there seems to be links on 5 of the wikipages to some strange sites.
> I suspect that it's about drugs.

It's the same goddamn shit as the forum spam users which I have to manually delete every few days (and sometimes every day). (Explanation: Spammers register to this forum to misuse the "home page" link in the user profile to link to sites which offer drugs and other trash.)

> So Flummi, if you can, restore an old backup. Or else I'll change it back manually.

The problem is that the spammers may automatically add these links every day.
Has anybody an idea how big Wiki sites (like wikipedia) handle this? I'm sure they have already encountered the same problem.

> Maybe this isn't a worm, maybe it's just some weird guy wanting to mess things up.

No, this is most probably done by a special spammer software where the spammer can add Wiki sites and then regularly let the software automatically pollute the site with spam. :-(
bojster

Post by bojster »

Holger wrote:Has anybody an idea how big Wiki sites (like wikipedia) handle this? I'm sure they have already encountered the same problem.
1. They restore pages manually, 2. They block certain IPs from editorial access. 3. They block certian accounts from editorial access... that's what I know.
Don Shadow

Post by Don Shadow »

There is an easy solution !

Registring. Somebody registers and Flummi will check that before allowing him to edit something.
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

eeerm...

I somehow completely missed this thread when it was started. But this spam wasn't hard to oversee...

As stated on the FrontPage I've updated the wiki-software. They now have an anti-spam feature.

> Has anybody an idea how big Wiki sites (like wikipedia) handle this?
> I'm sure they have already encountered the same problem.
The one in MoinMoin works with an blacklist of regexps, that is automatically updated. We'll see how much efford those spammers spend to beat this.

>There is an easy solution !
> Registring. Somebody registers and Flummi will check that before
> allowing him to edit something.
Yes that would be easy. But not in the spirit of a wiki. But I'll have a closer look on this now.
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;