Supaplex level collection 93, level 6

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

bojster

Supaplex level collection 93, level 6

Post by bojster »

There's no exit. I think it should be in upper left corner - it seems the most obvious location... Shall I fix it and post the file here or what?

[edit] I'm using original Supaplex files (LEVEL.L93, LEVELS.D93, PLAYER.L93), so I'm not quite sure how should I do the fixing... maybe contact the author?
bojster

Post by bojster »

Same levelset, level 7 - at first everything is ok, but in the end one infotron is missing... guess which one? ;-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> There's no exit. I think it should be in upper left corner - it seems the most obvious location...

Yes... That's strange, because it's the original, unmodified level file. Maybe this is one of the cases where the level is only solvable using "dirty tricks", although I cannot see what could be done using "tricks" (bugs) in this level, as there is no exit anywhere. :-(

Is there a solution tape available for this level at Elmer Productions? For a lot of Supaplex levels, there is a solution tape available (called "demo file", if I remember correctly), which might be of help here. (No, these "tapes" cannot be played with R'n'D (yet), but you need the original Supaplex (well, spfix63, of course) to play it, or MegaPlex. There is a chance that R'n'D 3.4.0 can also play Supaplex demo files.)

> Shall I fix it and post the file here or what?

Yes, if you like, you can do that. If there are Supaplex levels which are really unsolvable in their current state (even with the original engine), a fix can be provided by simply fixing the level in the editor. The resulting file will of course then be a R'n'D level, which we can just put into the level set directory. R'n'D level files have precendence over "native" levels, so R'n'D would pick the, say, level file "042.level" and not use the level from the file "LEVELS.D93".

> [edit] I'm using original Supaplex files (LEVEL.L93, LEVELS.D93, PLAYER.L93), so I'm not
> quite sure how should I do the fixing... maybe contact the author?

Would be even better, to make sure that it is really a bug. Sometimes it's hard to tell for me if a level is buggy or if I'm just not smart enough to see the solution. But somebody like you, with a lot of Supaplex level playing experience, thinks that this is a bug, I will believe it, of course. ;-) (And in this case it really looks like a bug.)

> Same levelset, level 7 - at first everything is ok, but in the end one infotron is missing...
> guess which one? ;-)

Oops?! No idea! Is it obvious? (I looked at that level for about one minute in the level editor, but for me there's no flaw that's too obvious... :-| )
bojster

Post by bojster »

Ok, so I e-mailed the author and he pointed to me that this levelset is deprecated and I should use supwn1 instead (which I already have, but I didn't notice that it contains the same levels plus 18 more), so if anybody doesn't have it, you can download it from here.
Anyway, in that 'fixed' levelset, the infotron in level 7 is still missing (after a time, of course)... *hint* it's very close to the scissors :-) Maybe it wouldn't be so in original (or fixed) Supaplex, but I cannot check that... anyone?
bojster

Post by bojster »

Blah, turned out that level 7 was solvable even despite that missing infotron (in fact, I had to blow another one, but I acquired 6 more, so I finished the level with 4 bonus infotrons anyway ;-). If someone's interested, tapes for the first seven levels can be found here.
bojster

Post by bojster »

Again I mailed the author, as I had problem with blowing exit in level 8. And guess what, he said that the exit (the one in lower right corner) should blow in 6m56s! And in RnD it blows in 12s! (You can check thet by putting Murphy next to it in the editor and running test.) Gah, another incompatibility... Turns out that was quite similar in case of level 7, but there was anoither solution, unlike in this level... but I see a really nice solution just a zonk away (removing one zonk would make the level solvable and even a bit more difficult :-). I mailed the author about this idea as well, and maybe he'll change it... if not, I might change it anyway and put it somewhere for download ;-)