Updating R&D

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Lipa

Updating R&D

Post by Lipa »

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question or if this has been covered before, but I was just wondering - what is the best way to update R&D to the newest version? I mean - what I would like (if possible) is to keep all the levelsets, the personal settings, records etc... Can I / How do I do it "the safe way", without messing anything up?

(I'm talking Windows version here.)

Many thanks, and may I also say it's good to be back after years! :)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

The easiest and safest way to update R'n'D on Windows is just using the installer -- it won't overwrite any of your personal data, levels, tapes or settings! But beware: This is only true if you upgrade from a recent version (like any 3.2.x) -- if your last version is still an old version that writes stuff into the R'n'D program (installation) directory, then it might be in danger (just make a copy of the whole folder in this case, to be 100% sure that nothing gets overwritten).

If you have a folder "Rocks'n'Diamonds" in your "My Documents" folder, then everything should be fine! (Making a backup never hurts, but shouldn't be needed.)

BTW: Welcome back! :-)
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Wouldn't the installer erase the levels directory in RnD program dir? (When I download a levelset I put it there, so all the users can play it.)
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

I don't think that the installer would do that.

Holger has not published the Inno Setup script for the installer (and I don't know why and I wish he would), but most likely, there should be no problem using an installer to updated an installed copy.

I also put levelsets there when I download them, but I have never updated a copy of R'n'D using the installer yet. I still use the plain ZIP archives for Windows, which is fine if you're used to it like I am.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Wouldn't the installer erase the levels directory in RnD program dir?

I would be very surprised if it would do that -- I'm sure it just doesn't touch any existing files that are not part of the installation archive. (Haven't tested this, though.)

> (When I download a levelset I put it there, so all the users can play it.)

This should be no problem! :-)

(But please make a backup first as I haven't tried that yet. :-) )

> Holger has not published the Inno Setup script for the installer (and I don't
> know why and I wish he would), but most likely, there should be no
> problem using an installer to updated an installed copy.

Sorry for that -- I just thought that nobody would be interested in it! But it's not a secret, of course -- here it is (file "template.iss"):

Code: Select all

; ==============================================================================
; template.iss
; ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; configuration template for Inno Setup installation project
;
; 2006-04-22 info@artsoft.org
; ==============================================================================

[Setup]
AppName=_PRG_NAME_
AppVerName=_PRG_NAME_ _PRG_VERSION_
AppPublisher=Artsoft Entertainment
AppPublisherURL=http://www.artsoft.org/
AppSupportURL=http://www.artsoft.org/_PRG_BASENAME_/
AppUpdatesURL=http://www.artsoft.org/_PRG_BASENAME_/
DefaultDirName={pf}\_PRG_NAME_
DefaultGroupName=_PRG_NAME_
LicenseFile="_PRG_DIR_\COPYING.txt"
;InfoBeforeFile="_PRG_DIR_\INSTALL.txt"
;InfoAfterFile="_PRG_DIR_\README.txt"
UninstallDisplayIcon={app}\_PRG_EXE_
Compression=lzma
SolidCompression=yes

OutputBaseFilename=_SETUP_EXE_
OutputDir=.

[Files]
Source: "_PRG_DIR_\*"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: recursesubdirs createallsubdirs

[Tasks]
Name: "desktopicon"; Description: "Create a &Desktop icon"; GroupDescription: "Additional icons:"
Name: "quicklaunchicon"; Description: "Create a &Quick Launch icon"; GroupDescription: "Additional icons:"

[Icons]
Name: "{group}\_PRG_NAME_"; Filename: "{app}\_PRG_EXE_"
Name: "{group}\_PRG_NAME_ on the Web"; Filename: "{app}\_PRG_BASENAME_.url"
Name: "{userdesktop}\_PRG_NAME_"; Filename: "{app}\_PRG_EXE_"; Tasks: desktopicon
Name: "{userappdata}\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\_PRG_NAME_"; Filename: "{app}\_PRG_EXE_"; Tasks: quicklaunchicon

; This dynamically generates a Windows internet shortcut file. Unfortunately,
; this file is not removed when the package is uninstalled, leaving an empty
; program directory with just that internet shortcut file. Using a static file
; does not cause this problem.
;[INI]
;Filename: "{app}\_PRG_BASENAME_.url"; Section: "InternetShortcut"; Key: "URL"; String: "http://www.artsoft.org/_PRG_BASENAME_/"

[Run]
Filename: "{app}\_PRG_EXE_"; Description: "Launch _PRG_NAME_"; Flags: nowait postinstall skipifsilent
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Thank you.

So I assume you modify the file and save a copy for each program.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Davacardo

Post by Davacardo »

Holger wrote:> Wouldn't the installer erase the levels directory in RnD program dir?

I would be very surprised if it would do that -- I'm sure it just doesn't touch any existing files that are not part of the installation archive. (Haven't tested this, though.)

[/code]
I've used the installer twice to install RnD (3.2.0 -> 3.2.3 -> 3.2.4). I've installed it both times to the same directory as the previous installation. It hasn't ever erased the level sets, graphics, music, anything. Nor has it deleted or overwritten other things I've saved in the directory such as ConfEdit.
Lipa

Post by Lipa »

Thank you all!

Cheers!