Playing tutorial tapes - how???

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

TomV

Playing tutorial tapes - how???

Post by TomV »

How can I play tutorial (or any ather) tapes recorded by someone else? I don't seem to figure this out, play button doesn't work and eject button says "no tape for this level" although I can se "Tapes" subdirectory under a tutorial directory and copying tapes to the same folder as levels didn't seem to help.

Thank you for your help, I like R'n'D very much.
Alan

Post by Alan »

The tapes for the level should be in "my documents", you will have to make a folder the same name as the level folder and put the tapes in that.

So If I'm playing the game "MyLevels" :-

Code: Select all

[My Documents]
     [Rocks'n'Diamonds]
          [tapes]
              [mylevels]
                    001.tape
                    002.tape
TomV

Post by TomV »

Thanks for your help, it's a pity there's no word about it in the README.
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

TomV wrote:Thanks for your help, it's a pity there's no word about it in the README.
Story of RnD's life...

Seriously, the README is extremly antiquated and is probably now wrong in several places.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

TomV wrote:Thanks for your help, it's a pity there's no word about it in the README.
Some people at the forum are improving the RND Documentation, any contributions to that part is welcome. Look in the RND Documentation forum section.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Thanks for your help, it's a pity there's no word about it in the README.

Well, in this case it's intended, somehow... ;-)

What Alan described works well, of course. But it was intended to "hide" the solution tapes a bit, and to use the location described by Alan for recording own tapes (without overwriting the existing solution tapes). To play a solution tape (if existing), there is a little "cheat" available (people often ask for hidden cheats, so I added this one ;-) ): Go to the main menu, make sure that there's no tape loaded (eject any existing tape with the eject button, if needed), and then (blindly) type ":insert-solution-tape" or simply ":ist" -- the solution tape is then loaded into the tape recorder and you can watch the solution!

Post by Guest »

Maby just me :oops:

But I can't get the described solution to work on linux :cry:

Running SuSE 8.2

Great many thanks for this port of my allTimeFavoriteGame from the good old c64 days :mrgreen:
bojster

Post by bojster »

Your tapes are in ~/.rocksndiamonds/tapes/
Get in there, find the directory named after the levelset (e.g. classic_boulderdash/) and put the tape of your interest in there (that will be, for example, ~/.rocksndiamonds/tapes/classic_boulderdash/001.tape for level 1 in classic Boulder Dash levelset). Remember that this will overwrite your original tape if you had some for your level! You can of course backup it and restore it again after viewing the other one.
Last edited by bojster on Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Misbams

Post by Misbams »

Thanks a million :D
Did not think about the dot "." in the directory name :oops: No wonder I could'nt get to play a tutorial tape :lol: All I got was my own feeble attempt to solve the level :wink:
--
/Henrik
bojster

Post by bojster »

I'm glad that helped. Nice avatar btw.