Having trouble installing Rocks'n'diamonds on mandriva

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

JBailey

Having trouble installing Rocks'n'diamonds on mandriva

Post by JBailey »

By default, I have this under mandriva 2006, but I am mostly using 2007 (RC Sunna beta). Can this game be installed under 2007, and if so, how? I have had a hard time installing certain files and games, and this happens to be one of them.
bojster

Post by bojster »

Just download the tarball, unpack it for example in your home directory and start the preceompiled binary (from the console, with ./rocksndiamonds; starting from X might not work, but I'm not sure - you can always write a small script though and click on it). Should work on any distro. The packaged version is probably outdated anyway.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

If you really want to actually install the package to the whole system: Unfortunately, rocksndiamonds currently don't provide simple install mechanism (like "make install"). Compile rocksndiamonds with RO_GAME_DIR and RW_GAME_DIR set to /usr/local/share/games/rocksndiamonds. After compiling, copy rocksndiamonds executable to /usr/local/games (or /usr/games) and all game directories to /usr/local/share/games/rocksdniamonds. This worked for me. If it didn't work for you, describe what exactly goes wrong and how.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

About bojster's solution: This should indeed be the easiest solution (and clicking on the executable from the KDE/Gnome file browser to start the game should work with recent versions of R'n'D now (it didn't work before and required the described script solution)).

Tomi's solution also works well, and if you just skip the RO_GAME_DIR and RW_GAME_DIR stuff, it still works fine -- you just have to keep the whole game directory together and put it to some place at your system you like best (as a whole).

An addition to bojster's solution: The tar ball only contains a very basic version without music and fullscreen support. To get the whole fun, make sure that you have installed the usual, needed packages for compiling stuff from your distribution (including the SDL libraries) and recompile with "make clean; make sdl".