How to continue a recording ?

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

jmorgie

How to continue a recording ?

Post by jmorgie »

I use RnD to play Supaplex.

I use the recorder so I dont have to 'replay' my way through a puzzle.

Question: after I play the recording forward to where I want to pick up; I stop the playback. then how can I continue recording from that point forward?

Maybe this belongs in new ideas ? ??

thanks
Zomis

Re: How to continue a recording ?

Post by Zomis »

jmorgie wrote:Question: after I play the recording forward to where I want to pick up; I stop the playback. then how can I continue recording from that point forward?

Maybe this belongs in new ideas ? ??
I hope you mean "pause" the playback, what you do is that you press the red circle button and unpause the recorder. And there you go, ready to continue!

By the way, with RND 3.2.2, you can save the tape and then reload a direct snapshot of it, so that you don't need to wait for the tape reloader.

No, this belongs here in RnD Help.
bojster

Post by bojster »

jmorgie wrote:I use RnD to play Supaplex.

I use the recorder so I dont have to 'replay' my way through a puzzle.

Question: after I play the recording forward to where I want to pick up; I stop the playback. then how can I continue recording from that point forward?
What Zomis answered is not quite right and often leads to corrupted tapes, because 'record' button (red circle) always appends to a tape, so it doesn't really pick up from when you paused the playback. The sure way to do it is – after pausing – saving the tape (F1) and then immediately loading it (F2). Of course if you save the tape with F1, you don't need to play it and wait until it finishes, you can just press F2 directly from the menu or at any point in the game.

Note that there's only one slot, so each save will erase the previously saved tape.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

bojster wrote:What Zomis answered is not quite right and often leads to corrupted tapes, because 'record' button (red circle) always appends to a tape, so it doesn't really pick up from when you paused the playback.
Really? What I suggested has worked for me every time...

This is not something which differs from Linux and Windows, is it?
Well, I'll investigate that more another time.
bojster

Post by bojster »

Maybe it changed lately, because that's how it is in 3.2.2. Now that I think of it, I didn't have issues like that earlier.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

bojster wrote:Maybe it changed lately, because that's how it is in 3.2.2. Now that I think of it, I didn't have issues like that earlier.
Strange... it works for me now too! So I don't have any problems at all. When saving, playing (NOT instant loading), pausing, recording, unpausing, it works fine!

How did it work for you, jmorgie?
bojster

Post by bojster »

Maybe it's because I compiled RnD from source (I had to, to use different paths). But it didn't give any errors... Oh well.
jmorgie

thanks but ...

Post by jmorgie »

thanks for the help.

I didnt understand at all the comment about F2 and "reload a direct snapshot" == how do I reload a direct snapshot? When I recorded a level, then restarted and hit F2 I get a message that there is no saved tape.

very confused.

ps -- is there somewhere in a help file I could have read this stuff ?
bojster

Re: thanks but ...

Post by bojster »

jmorgie wrote:thanks for the help.

I didnt understand at all the comment about F2 and "reload a direct snapshot" == how do I reload a direct snapshot? When I recorded a level, then restarted and hit F2 I get a message that there is no saved tape.
...because you didn't save the tape - either with F1 or after finishing the level (answering 'yes' to the query). This is because the tape is *not* saved until the level is completed or it is saved explicitly (with F1), so if you simply load the tape that exists after you played part of the level (again: this tape is *not* saved, it is stored in memory and is discarded when you exit or even switch to a different level) and then continue from that point on, this tape will not be saved even if you finish the level! I know what I'm saying, because I didn't even know about saving the tape when I first played RnD.
Solution: *Always* save the tape with F1 and load it with F2 (or with play-pause, but then F1 and F2 as I explained before).
I hope that helps.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

bojster wrote:What Zomis answered is not quite right and often leads to corrupted tapes, because 'record' button (red circle) always appends to a tape, so it doesn't really pick up from when you paused the playback.
Maybe you do have a point there... now, when trying with Niko's tutorital level 28, I just got a corrupted tape - maybe because of the way I'm trying to load and resume recording...