Stepping forward in single frame mode?

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Zomis

Stepping forward in single frame mode?

Post by Zomis »

Isn't there a way to step forward frame by frame using the tape recorder (when playbacking a tape?). I really need that now for CE debugging...
RAP

Post by RAP »

Very simple, did you see the right arrow with a line near to the record-timer
like this whenever you play the level...

|>

That one, press it as you can and you can use it in 1-step mode...
And thats it! Everytime you move or use action, it pauses...

I hope this is helpful for once... 8)
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Zomis spoke about the playback, not about recording. Also, 1-step recording mode stops at 8-frames intervals - well, it depends on the player's speed... ugh... maybe setting it to ultrafast would do the job in 1-step mode...
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Alan

Post by Alan »

This could all be solved if the debug speed keys 0-9 returned......hint hint ;-)
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I was just playing around with the new features, and I just got the proof that my idea - combined with Ryan's one - can do the job: simply set the player's speed to ultrafast and start recording in 1-step mode, you will be able to see every single frame.

Actually, it does not the job requested by Zomis, and I guess that the options mentioned by Alan would be better, because then you could see what happens in a particular situation (a "taped" one) that could be hard to reproduce again.

Nonetheless, I guess that both solutions would be inadequate for real debugging. I would ask for a single-engine-scan step mode, and maybe also for a single-tile-check step mode. The ability to switch between them all (tile, scan and frame step modes) during a single debugging session would be very nice and useful.

Missing something like this, you could see tens and tens of elements changing suddenly in a single frame, and that would be too much to debug in single-frame step mode.

Personally I don't need that, so this is not an official request ;)
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yes, I should add something like that (again) for the "--debug" mode...