pre-release 3.2.0-6

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Zomis

pre-release 3.2.0-6

Post by Zomis »

I started RND, the current levelset was my 'testing' set. I switched to 'mathematics', I switched back to 'testing' and got this in stderr.txt:

Code: Select all

rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot open configuration file 'C:\Documents and Settings\simon\My Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds/editorcascade.conf'
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot open configuration file 'C:\Documents and Settings\simon\My Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds/editorsetup.conf'
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot read level 'C:\Documents and Settings\simon\My Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds/levels/Zomis/test/068.level' -- using empty level
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot load CONF value for element 53
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot load CONF value for element 80
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot read level 'C:\Documents and Settings\simon\My Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds/levels/Zomis/test/068.level' -- using empty level
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot read level 'C:\Documents and Settings\simon\My Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds/levels/Zomis/test/069.level' -- using empty level
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot open configuration file 'C:\Documents and Settings\simon\My Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds/editorsetup.conf'
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
Maybe it's only a temporary bug (I recognize the 'Segmentation Fault' problem...) but maybe it's other stuff in the file which is valuable...
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Either it's a bug with switching levelsets, or my computer is feeling very bad today (which actually wouldn't suprise me much...)
Now the problem happened again, and again... and now also with the 'mathematics' levelset.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Is this the same bug as the one I have discovered? When you first load another levelset (doesn't matter whether with custom artwork or not) and then load 'bug machine' (a levelset by Jürgen), the game is terminated.

In the stderr.txt it says:

rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot open configuration file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Martijn Mooij\Mijn documenten/Rocks'n'Diamonds/editorcascade.conf'

When you load the game again, the levelset works normally.
Strange, isn't it?

something else (not a bug): I see you've changed the 'levels' option in the main menu into 'levelset' and now the first and the last level are diplayed. Does that have a special function or is it just something to brighten up the layout? It looks nicer.
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Rockford4ever

Post by Rockford4ever »

When i open he level editor, the game crashes and stderr gives me this:

rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot open configuration file 'C:\Documents and Settings\dvanhauwe2\Mijn documenten/Rocks'n'Diamonds/editorcascade.conf'
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot open configuration file 'C:\Documents and Settings\dvanhauwe2\Mijn documenten/Rocks'n'Diamonds/editorsetup.conf'
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot find artwork file 'rhythmloop.wav'
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: trying default artwork file 'rhythmloop.wav'
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot find default artwork file 'rhythmloop.wav'
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot open configuration file 'C:\Documents and Settings\dvanhauwe2\Mijn documenten/Rocks'n'Diamonds/editorsetup.conf'

Looks there are plenty of bugs in the new version... :(
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

A bug im amazed noones ever noticed before, and extremely suprized I never noticed myself until now.

If you have music disabled ingame, yet a levelset you open has music playing on the main menu that music will continue to play when you start a level even though in level music is supposed to be off, turning the music on will result in the menu music stopping and the correct level music to start playing.

Try it with Snakebite.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Martijn wrote:Is this the same bug as the one I have discovered?
Yep. Exactly the same for me. I've also experienced what Rockford4ever is describing, sometimes after making some Editor settings changes in the setup and save the result, I open the level creator and the game crashes. I reload the game and open the level creator directly, works. I think these 2 bugs are related, and I guess the new 'editorcascade' has something to do with it.
Btw: My stderr.txt never said (at least not so far I've found) that it couldn't load the editorcascade.conf file...
Martijn wrote:something else (not a bug): I see you've changed the 'levels' option in the main menu into 'levelset' and now the first and the last level are diplayed. Does that have a special function or is it just something to brighten up the layout? It looks nicer.
I think this is so that newbies will understand that 'aha, I can change levelset'. I also think this is better. But I thought that level selection and levelset selection was going to be seperated.
RAP

Post by RAP »

Same to me, just read this...

rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot open configuration file 'C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds/editorcascade.conf'
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: configuration file 'C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds/editorsetup.conf' is empty
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot read level 'C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds/levels/USER/001.level' -- using empty level
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: configuration file 'C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds/editorsetup.conf' is empty
When I go to the editor every time, I got crashed due the missing file...
This conf. file "editorcascade.conf'" was missing.

My guess is that the Pre-RND Version (3.2.0-6) did'nt make the file in
order to open the editor.
See it to the following folder: My Documents\Rocks'n'Diamonds
...so that file is missing.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

PPPPPPLLLLLLEEEEEEASSSSSEEE turn that "Allow more than 1 change per frame" OFF OFF OFF OFF! Or at least change it...
It makes mathematics in RND nearly impossible. And not only mathematics.
For example:
CE1 changes to extended change target when touching rock.

( is in this change CE2)
CE1 moves right.
CE2 changes to CE1 when touching rock. Also moves right.

Level layout:

Now it should end up like the following, right?

Because CE1 changes to CE2 and moves back to it's original position, and CE2 changes back to CE1 when touching . And so CE1 moves to the right of the .

However, since more than 1 change per frame is allowed... when CE2 changes back to CE1, the change for CE1 is triggered directly, moving left one step to it's original position. That should not be intended behaviour.
asiekierka

Post by asiekierka »

holger, please repair that 3.2.0-6 and public repaired version or editorsetup.conf with editorcascade.conf and delete Segmentation Fault error!
GraphicsPack project: 90%
IconXT project: 100% (version final is ready)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot load CONF value for element 53

This is due to a little change in the CONF tokens from 3.2.0-5 to 3.2.0-6. Some (non-CE) element settings have just been gone...

> rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot open configuration file 'C:\Documents and Settings\simon\My Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds/editorsetup.conf'

This just means that no file "editorsetup.conf" was found, which is no problem. Therefore no error, but only a warning. I could suppress this, though...

> rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot open configuration file 'C:\Documents and Settings\simon\My Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds/editorcascade.conf'

The same here, but with a different file. No bug or error, just a warning.

> Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

This IS a bug! :-O

And the other lines from the error log do not tell anything (as usual with Segmentation Faults -- else I would have shut down the game cleanly),
so I have no idea what went wrong. Have to valgrind the code, I think... :-/

> Now the problem happened again, and again... and now also with the
> 'mathematics' levelset.

Unfortunately, this has never ever happened on my Linux box -- else it would be easy to find and fix that bug.

Could anybody build and run 3.2.0-6 under Windows in a debugger? That would be of great help here.

> Is this the same bug as the one I have discovered? When you first load
> another levelset (doesn't matter whether with custom artwork or not)
> and then load 'bug machine' (a levelset by Jürgen), the game is
> terminated.

The same here: Never had that problem! :-o

> rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot open configuration file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Martijn Mooij\Mijn documenten/Rocks'n'Diamonds/editorcascade.conf'
>
> When you load the game again, the levelset works normally.
> Strange, isn't it?

No, because the file was now automatically created and found, so no warning was issued again. But this has nothing to do with the crash bug (besides the suspicion that the bug was introduced when adding the element list cascading stuff to the editor... :-/ ).

> something else (not a bug): I see you've changed the 'levels' option in the
> main menu into 'levelset' and now the first and the last level are
> diplayed. Does that have a special function or is it just something to
> brighten up the layout?

Nothing special, just a weak try to make it a bit more clear for newbies that they can also select different level sets here... ;-)

> It looks nicer.

I'm glad to hear this! I wasn't sure about it, to be honest...

> Looks there are plenty of bugs in the new version...

Probably only one bug, but a BIG one... :-o

> If you have music disabled ingame, yet a levelset you open has music
> playing on the main menu that music will continue to play when you start
> a level even though in level music is supposed to be off, turning the
> music on will result in the menu music stopping and the correct level
> music to start playing.

Urgs! That sounds weird! I'll check this. Should be easier to fix than that SegFault bug... :-/

> I guess the new 'editorcascade' has something to do with it.

You're probably right... :-/

> I think this is so that newbies will understand that 'aha, I can change
> levelset'.

Exactly! :-)

> I also think this is better. But I thought that level selection and levelset
> selection was going to be seperated.

This would be nicer, indeed.

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible now to change the layout without heavily breaking all custom artwork sets, like SnakeBite, BD2K3 or Juergen Bonhagen's great sets... :-(

> When I go to the editor every time, I got crashed due the missing file...
> This conf. file "editorcascade.conf'" was missing.

As mentioned. this is not the reason for the crash...

> holger, please repair that 3.2.0-6 and public repaired version or
> editorsetup.conf with editorcascade.conf and delete Segmentation Fault
> error!

Thank you. This advice is really very helpful. Now I should be able to fix that bug within a few seconds. (SCNR!)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Note: I have put this into a separate post, because of its importance.

(I should have done the same with the music bug reported by Darkon.)

> PPPPPPLLLLLLEEEEEEASSSSSEEE turn that "Allow more than 1 change
> per frame" OFF OFF OFF OFF! Or at least change it...

Thanks for the first feedback to this very important change! (And don't panic: Especially this one is not yet chiselled into stone...)

> It makes mathematics in RND nearly impossible. And not only
> mathematics.

Well, it depends on how you designed your level and CEs... ;-P

> [...]
> Because CE1 changes to CE2 and moves back to it's original position,
> and CE2 changes back to CE1 when touching . And so CE1 moves to the
> right of the .
>
> However, since more than 1 change per frame is allowed... when CE2
> changes back to CE1, the change for CE1 is triggered directly, moving left
> one step to it's original position. That should not be intended behaviour.

I have built the level as you described, and I can confirm this behaviour.

What is "intended behaviour" and what not heavily depends on what you build and how you build it, of course. There are cases where the new behaviour is far better (and more logical). Imagine the following CE configuration:

- CE1 can change by "extended change " to 9 new instances of CE2.
- CE2 changes when touching CE3
- CE3 changes when touching CE2

(The last two may both change to "empty", like a simple "Puzznic" style change.)

Now imagine a CE1 and a CE3 only seperated by one field of empty space.

Now CE1 changes: This results in CE2 touching CE3 (or vice versa). But only CE3 changes now, because CE2 "already changed" (not really, but the engine treats it like that, because that area was involved in a CE change).

A possible solution is now to allow another change in the same frame.

(A different solution is of course to only block the middle tile for further changes in the same frame.)

This could also be solved by additional configuration switches, like this:
[x] always do this change, even when there already was a change in this frame

or:
[x] allow more changes on the same tile if this CE has changed

etc.

I think I still have to think about this, and work at this part of the engine...
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

But if you'll add new behavior, please make some level/levelset switch that emulates the old engine (if possible).
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> But if you'll add new behavior, please make some level/levelset switch
> that emulates the old engine (if possible).

You're absolutely right, this should be the way to do it! :-)

(The change in 3.2.0-6 was just to have a look at it... In the final version, this should indeed be configurable, else you won't be able to touch old levels anymore in the editor without breaking them.)
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Well, decided Id have a quick bug hunt and found two.
Give the player a custom explosion with custom graphics then get *caught* in an explosion however move away at the right time and it shows the custom death animation in the space you just came from, odd? id say yes.

Another odd bug, set the player to have a custom single space explosion, drop a dynamite/dynabomb and wait till it is about to explode, at that exact moment move, the dynamite/dynabomb explosion is replaced by your custom explosion, leaving the player perfectally unharmed.
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Just wondering if you've taken a look at these yet Holger?