pre-release 3.2.0-3

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Darkon

pre-release 3.2.0-3

Post by Darkon »

Had a little go and noticed that - values on the player speed seem to work fine, but + values dont seem to add as expected.

Passing through a gate(anything passable) when you have a lower speed value resets your speed to default.

Lower character speeds cause objects to be dug/collected oddly (show the first frame of the anim, then doesnt show the rest, simply vanishes instead)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

I just made this a sticky post, so please continue to post bugs about pre-3.2.0-3 here.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Had a little go and noticed that - values on the player speed seem to work
> fine, but + values dont seem to add as expected.

The problem is that you can only modify the player speed in powers of 2 -- therefore, it's best to only use "/" and "*" here. Using "-" (for example, "-1") gets rounded down to the next lower power of 2, while using "+" ("+1", for example), just gets rounded to the same value.

So you either have to use big enough values for "+" to reach the next power of 2, or just use "/" and "*" with values like 2, 4, 8, ...

Maybe I should change the behaviour so that values like "-1" and "+1" get mapped to "/2" and "*2"...? Not sure...

> Passing through a gate(anything passable) when you have a lower speed
> value resets your speed to default.

Yep, that's a bug. Just fixed it. :-)

> Lower character speeds cause objects to be dug/collected oddly (show
> the first frame of the anim, then doesnt show the rest, simply vanishes
> instead)

That was *really* buggy... Also fixed now; will be released with the next pre-release.

Darkon, thanks a lot for reporting these bugs! This is much valuable help, as I cannot test each and every situation. Testing the game and reporting bugs here is of great help to prevent such nasty bugs from showing up in final release versions! Thanks again! :-)
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

I was actually referring to the fact that you can sucessfully - 2 then minus another two to your speed, but try +2 then +2 again and it doesnt respond to the second +2.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Darkon wrote:I was actually referring to the fact that you can sucessfully - 2 then minus another two to your speed, but try +2 then +2 again and it doesnt respond to the second +2.
I believe that this is the same as Holger wrote, try adding +4 to the second, maybe that will work... I guess the second -2 gets rounded down, and the second +2 also gets rounded down...

Holger: Yes, I think it would be a good idea to map those changes so that +1 corresponds to *2 or something like that...
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Ah now i understand, I somehow failed to notice the fact he said rounded DOWN

*edit* if a player is moving too fast, player enters and player leaves events fail to work
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Zomis:
> Holger: Yes, I think it would be a good idea to map those changes so that
> +1 corresponds to *2 or something like that...

Changed it that way:
+1 => *2
+2 => *4
+3 => *8
-1 => /2
-2 => /4
(every value not listed above results in minimal / maximal speed anyway).

Darkon:
> if a player is moving too fast, player enters and player leaves events fail
> to work

Oops... right. The player cannot even enter the exit! :-o

Fixed now! :-)

Thanks a lot again! It's exactly these kind of bugs that tend to show up some time after a "stable" version was released, because nobody had really tested these cases with the pre-release versions.

Therefore, please (all) keep up with your very helpful testing work! :-)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

CE 1 changes to CE 1 when touched by player
Action: Set time / Set gems + 10
Result: Adds 20 instead, probably the action is made twice when touching the element... *EDIT* hmm... thinking... this could be because the element changes to itself... it probably works better without the change :) When I removed the change then it works as expected :)

CE 2 reacts (not changes - I've learned from my mistakes) when Delay 4 seconds
Action: Set gems * 2
Result: Nothing happens... doesn't actions react by delay? (If this will be fixed... make sure that if Delay = 0 frames and action Restart level doesn't create an endless loop).

*EDIT again* As I expected, when configuring CE 2 as following:
CE 2 changes to empty space after delay 0 works
CE 2 takes action restart level when change by page of CE 2 (any page)
Here we have the endless loop, as expected :) Now the question is what the heck to do about this... maybe leave a little space for the user to quit the level somehow? *EDIT AGAIN - hopefully last time...* Just noticed that it actually works pressing esc... but the right hand side of the screen looks unusually strange when the loop is running...
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Since I'm tired of editing I'll post this new bug here ;)
Maybe it was fixed together with earlier graphic bugs mentioned by Darkon, but anyways:

Set player speed to slowest somehow, and then place him within a field of crystals (emeralds won't work, it needs to be indestructible), go one step down - collecting 1 crystal and getting another in the head. Graphic bug!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

[not yet tested the "delay" things, but there are definitely bugs in there...]

But something on this one:
> Set player speed to slowest somehow, and then place him within a field
> of crystals (emeralds won't work, it needs to be indestructible), go one
> step down - collecting 1 crystal and getting another in the head. Graphic
> bug!

This is indeed an old bug! :-o

Try the following with stable version 3.1.1: Re-build the "crystal" element with a CE: using graphic of "crystal" (optional, of course), indestructible, can fall, slippery/random, can smash player and -- important -- move/fall speed "fast" -- et voila: When moving down through a field of these CE crystals, you get exactly the same (graphical) bug! :-o

So, this has to be fixed independently from the new "CE action" features...
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

When using the set score action, if the score sets to > 9999, only 9999 is displayed. (or maybe this could be because of CE count maximum)
BTW: What's the maximum value for "CE count" and "CE score"?

And also, not a bug but an idea: How about adding "MOD" and "SQRT" as calcing types?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> When using the set score action, if the score sets to > 9999, only 9999 is
> displayed. (or maybe this could be because of CE count maximum)

Do you mean 99'999? This is the maximum value for scores...

> BTW: What's the maximum value for "CE count" and "CE score"?

Currently it is 9'999.

> And also, not a bug but an idea: How about adding "MOD" and "SQRT" as
> calcing types?

Cool idea! Just added the MOD function ("%") -- is there really a use for SQRT? :-)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Holger wrote:>Do you mean 99'999? This is the maximum value for scores...

>Currently it is 9'999.

>Cool idea! Just added the MOD function ("%") -- is there really a use for SQRT? :-)
1. No, I meant 9'999, but that was probably because of the maximum value for CE Count and CE change.

Maybe the CE Count and CE Change maximum could be improved, to... 65'535?

Well, define "use"...:) But why not? ;) Could be used for some mathematics later maybe... - that's what I mainly like about the new CE actions ;) Although it's not totally great yet...
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Not sure if this is a glitch, but if you set a CE to have a change action... the CE itself still changes even if the "element changes to" box is unticked
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Darkon wrote:Not sure if this is a glitch, but if you set a CE to have a change action... the CE itself still changes even if the "element changes to" box is unticked
I've never experienced that...
But two thoughts, maybe it's because of you checked the "use extended change target"? or is it because of there is an element in the "element changes to" box? Could be a bug, but first of all we need to see what the bug is caused by... as I said, I've never experienced it.