Slow on scroll

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Sooby

Slow on scroll

Post by Sooby »

Hi,
I've been looking through the forum and have see a few posts about the game slowing down, but nothing in the suggestions helps.

All versions worked perfectly on my machine (3GHz Intel 512mb RAM Radeon 9100 IGP Win XP). Then I installed SP2 and Directx 9c and updated display drivers. Now it slows down when scrolling !?!?!?
Help, I love this game but just too frustrating when so slow. :cry:
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

It sounds like it has to do with your Direct X version, or your updated graphic drivers. Such things usually affect game performance, especially 2D-games... many graphic cards have excellent 3D-support, but RND is not a 3D-game, so 3D-support doesn't help much.

Slowdown

Post by Guest »

Try setting your graphics to 16 bit.
Sooby

Slow scrolling

Post by Sooby »

Thanks heaps Guest. Setting graphics to 16 bit worked like a charm. Now I'll be back to getting nothing else done (just one more game :wink: )

I used to play this on an Amiga and then it was my (and my mum's) favourite game.

What a joy to play it again.

My favourite are the big levels from Ruediger Schaefer (2002 Contributions)
Just love killing all those Bugs!!!!!

Its a pity that graphics driver makers don't consider 2D games. There are those of us who don't play all the fancy big 3D games.

Again, thanks for your help.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Doesn't running RnD in fullscreen mode force it to 800x600 16 bit anyway?.... So what good would it do to set your desktop res? :?

Anyway, with a rig like yours I'm amazed you're getting slowdown....
Its a pity that graphics driver makers don't consider 2D games. There are those of us who don't play all the fancy big 3D games.
Tell you what, lets swap PCs, Mine is perfect for 2D games.........yours is perfect for quake4 ;-)
Sooby

Post by Sooby »

Hi Alan,

Not sure that it forces 16 bit in fullscreen mode (I always play it like that) because until I changed it manually it went slow.

It does seem odd that my machine would slow it down, but as Zomis said, it isn't the machine, it is the drivers etc.

Would swap with you Alan, but my kids would kill me, they love the high end games :wink: