running through explosions

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Martijn

running through explosions

Post by Martijn »

Previously, letting a bomb fall on another bomb just below and then going through a corridor of bombs was possible. But now it seems that this is not possible anymore. The RnD engine has become more like the Emerald Mine engine. But some levels are not solvable anymore...

OK it's not really a bug, but it fits best here, I think. Was this behaviour intended or is it coincidence?
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> But some levels are not solvable anymore...

It would be nice if you could name some of these levels... :-)

> Was this behaviour intended or is it coincidence?

I cannot remember any such (intended) engine change. As said, some examples would be very useful...
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> [...] going through a corridor of bombs was possible. But now it seems
> that this is not possible anymore.

I've just tested this and it is still possible.

You could also use the "level sketch" feature for an example of a level snippet that was possible to master with 3.1.0 and which is impossible now.

Of course, I would still be interested in every level that you found to be unsolvable with 3.1.1 due to the different behaviour that you noticed.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Before, I can remember, it was possible to go right and then quickly down. Now, you are grilled by the fire.

This is not about a corridor of bombs, but it's about the same: escaping alive from an explosion which even covers you. This is something which is not possible with the EM engine but it WAS always with the RnD engine.

Uhm, those levels I was talking about, were actually my own levels. But I'm sure they were possible first!

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Thanks for the sketch, now I know what you mean.

Yes, I changed this as the old behaviour was really a bug (not only escaping from explosions, but in fact moving more than one step inside an explosion and then leaving it -- that was always a bit strange).

I tested a few hundred levels with solution tapes against the new behaviour and got no problem, so it seems that most levels do not depend on this. Unfortunately I had no levels with tapes from you that seem to depend on this bug, so I couldn't take it into account.

BTW: Another (well known) bug that is not yet fixed is the fact that the player can move down with bombs on his head and then ignite the bombs by stopping for a few frames, and then continue moving down without being harmed. This is something that I wanted to fix for a long time. (And yes, this one will probably get a compatibility switch, as it was "misused" by intention here and there...)
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

OK but I was talking about a levelset which has not been finished yet. I also used the last 'bug' you mention as a trick, so I have to change this as well.

Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Martijn wrote:OK but I was talking about a levelset which has not been finished yet. I also used the last 'bug' you mention as a trick, so I have to change this as well.
You don't have to change your levels for the upcoming-fixing of that second bug, as Holger said he will make a compatibility switch (probably making a checkbox in the options for bombs or so..), where the old levels will use the old behavior as default.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

oooh I'm sorry.. I read it very quickly.. :oops: