single_step flag timing

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

filbo

single_step flag timing

Post by filbo »

Ok, this is 98% a bug in my brain, but I thought I would ask...

I was noticing that the 'single_step' flag appears on almost all of my tapes, even when I consciously try to play 'straight'. Just now I played without any single stepping, for sure, and it still appeared.

... then I realized, I habitually start a level with 'space, 1' -- 'start level, go to single step'. As a pause so I can get my bearings. I would use 'space, space' -- 'start level, pause' -- but double-hitting space usually isn't fast enough to catch the first frame.

So, after some experimentation, I have determined that 'space, 3' -- 'start level, pause tape' also works; and only tags the tape with 'pause', which pretty much all of my tapes are going to have, so that's fine.

But I am dubious whether I'll really be able to reprogram my brain macro of 'space, 1'. I'll continue to get it wrong at least some of the time.

So the ask is: can the 'single_step' flag be turned on, not when entering single step mode, but when actually committing a single-step move? That way if it is used only as a pause, it only turns on the 'pause' flag.

[ see www.artsoft.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2163 for the keyboard shortcut setup I use ]
Holger
Site Admin

Re: single_step flag timing

Post by Holger »

Sounds reasonable, and should be easy to implement!

I'll have a look at this! :)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Just had a look at this, and found out that it already works that way!

So, if you enter single step mode, the "single step" flag will not be set yet. If you leave single step mode (by either pressing single step key or button again, or by pressing pause key or button), single step mode is inactive again and no flag is set. If you make a move, the "single step" flag is set and the player is moved.

If I should have missed a case (or a combination of key presses) that result in setting the "single step" mode even though no move was made in single step mode, please let me know!
filbo

Post by filbo »

This would have been with the EMC engine -- would you have noticed if it would happen there? (Not tested current version for this, don't know if it's still happening...)