Supaplex border behavior

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Aurora

Supaplex border behavior

Post by Aurora »

This is a fairly minor bug, but it does affect a few of the trickier Supaplex levels so it's worth reporting IMO.
Basically, when you move through the left/right border and emerge on the opposite end of the level, the perspective does not shift along with you in the original game, forcing you to play blindly. This is actually used as a mechanic in levels that exploit this particular trick. Would it be possible to adjust the Supaplex engine in RnD so the perspective does not scroll to the other end of the level? Thanks!
filbo

Re: Supaplex border behavior

Post by filbo »

Are you saying this actually affects whether the level is solvable? Or only that some designers use that to make their levels harder?

And, is it that it never moves perspective, or that there is some sort of delay? Do you have to move further into the wrapped-other-end of the level before it shifts; is there a time delay; or are you actually playing blind 'forever', i.e. until you cross back over the boundary to the end you started from?
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Correct, the perspective never moves unless you cross back over.
I suppose the levels that use this as a mechanic would technically be solvable, but substantially less challenging in almost all cases where this is used as a gameplay element.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

For reference, some good examples of the levels I'm referring to are 86 of collection 03 (Overflow) and 8 of collection 07 (Blind Pilot).