[Fixed] BD2K3 fonts broken in 3.1.0 and 3.2.0-pre

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

bojster

[Fixed] BD2K3 fonts broken in 3.1.0 and 3.2.0-pre

Post by bojster »

Enough said. To reproduce, turn on RnD and load BD2K3. ;-)
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

I cannot see anything strange here. (Linux/SDL)
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;
bojster

Post by bojster »

Ok, so here's the screenshot:

It's in 3.1.0 X11, but I also tried it in SDL version (I accidentally compiled 3.0.8, but I don't think it makes much difference) with the same effect. Seems that the graphics are broken... any idea how it could have happened? I have almost all possible levelsets installed, so it's a bit messy... might be because of that.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Strange... I use the SDL windows version myself and tested in version 3.1.0 and in 3.2.0-rc1. It works fine on my PC.

About the mess: If I were you I would make some directories and subdirectories. Very useful.
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
bojster

Post by bojster »

I have dirs and subdirs. E.g. I have all 'external' levels (i.e. levelsets by players that are not included in the contribution packs) in a separate subdir called Varia. But what I meant was that with so many levels, original BD2K3 might have got overwriten somehow or something like that, thus giving such strange results.
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

Works fine for me too.

BD2K3 keeps its graphics in the "graphics" directory underneath the level set directory itself, so I think if the game can find BD2K3 itself, it can find the graphics. Both the corrupted fonts in that shot come from BD2K3_FontSmall.pcx... have you already checked that file for corruption?
bojster

Post by bojster »

Lol...
I took a peek into the BD2K3 graphics directory and I found two files:
BD2K3_FontSmall.pcx (size: 79312)
BD2K3_FontSmall.pcx_ (size: 50344)
I renamed BD2K3_FontSmall.pcx_ to BD2K3_FontSmall.pcx and the fonts work fine now.
I have no idea why it was this way, but I bet there's been some issue with that file in the past... too bad we don't have the old forum to search it. Maybe some new RnD release broke the font, so Alan made a replacement, and then Holger fixed the RnD issue, so the replacement font got broken? Just a thought ;-)

The only difference between the two files was that the first (correct) one was 320 x 320 dpi, and the second was 512 x 512 dpi. No wonder was that stretched.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

First, I'm glad that I did not read that thread before it was already fixed/clarified. This saved me from unneeded debugging. ;-)

> I have no idea why it was this way, but I bet there's been some issue with that file in the past...
> too bad we don't have the old forum to search it. Maybe some new RnD release broke the
> font, so Alan made a replacement, and then Holger fixed the RnD issue, so the replacement
> font got broken? Just a thought ;-)

Very unlikely... BTW: The original archive file "BD2K3-1.0.0.zip" only contains one version of the file "BD2K3_FontSmall.pcx" with size 50344 bytes...

And R'n'D does not copy or remove artwork files...

> The only difference between the two files was that the first (correct) one was 320 x 320 dpi,
> and the second was 512 x 512 dpi. No wonder was that stretched.

Where does that dpi information come from? *confused*

R'n'D does not use dpi at all, just plain pixels. (Unfortunately, as it looks really tiny when not in fullscreen mode on my new company laptop with 1680 x 1050 pixels TFT resolution...)
bojster

Post by bojster »

Holger wrote:And R'n'D does not copy or remove artwork files...
I obviously did it manually, but I want to know the reason why I did it ;-)
Where does that dpi information come from? *confused*
[bojster@bojster Rocks'n'Diamonds]$ file levels/BD2K3/graphics/BD2K3_FontSmall.pcx*
levels/BD2K3/graphics/BD2K3_FontSmall.pcx: PCX ver. 3.0 image data bounding box [0, 0] - [255, 639], 8-bit colour, 512 x 512 dpi, RLE compressed
levels/BD2K3/graphics/BD2K3_FontSmall.pcx_: PCX ver. 3.0 image data bounding box [0, 0] - [223, 419], 8-bit colour, 320 x 320 dpi, RLE compressed
Last edited by bojster on Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Well, well, well...
I'm glad that some bugs fixes themselves :)
Alan

Post by Alan »

That's the medium sized font! (BD2K3_FontMedium.pcx)

Why it was replacing the small font is a mystery.