Overwritting virtual buttons

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

mat

Overwritting virtual buttons

Post by mat »

Steps to reproduce:
1. Run the game in any orientation.
2. Change levelset to another that requires loading new artwork / graphicsinfo.conf file.
3. While the levelgroup loads, change orientation to the second one.
4. Play the level.

Virtual buttons look flattened when playing in landscape mode and when playing in portrait mode, they look stretched. Changing to the opposite orientation, then changing back to the first restores correct buttons. But when you don't change the orientation and quit the level, you will need to set new virtual buttons. Go to "Configure virtual buttons" to look at new "wrong" settings.

Other steps to reproduce:
1. Download infinite maze test:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2254
2. Extract the zip file, then run the game and choose downloaded levelset (don't play it).
3. Quit the game. Run RnD again but when loading it, change orientation to landscape.
4. Optionally, you might choose another levelgroup (e.g. Nico Bohm's tutorial).
5. Play.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Overwritting virtual buttons

Post by Holger »

Thanks for the detailed description of the problem -- I was able to reproduce it, at least partially.

The only difference to your description when testing that issue with version 4.2.0.3 (and there were no changes during the last few minor versions regarding this issue, I think) is that I was always able to restore the virtual buttons to correct dimensions by rotating the device once (or rotating to the other orientation and then back to the previous one).

So far, I was not able to get to a state where rotating the device did not restore the virtual buttons to the "normal" dimensions, even when quitting the level with "broken" button dimensions.

I'll check how to fix this issue; thanks for reporting it!
mat

Re: Overwritting virtual buttons

Post by mat »

Holger wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:35 am I was always able to restore the virtual buttons to correct dimensions by rotating the device once.
Yeah, I meant that changing the orientation twice is necessary if you want to play with correct buttons in the orientation chosen at the beginning. Rotating the device once is enough for correctness of buttons in the opposite orientation.
Holger wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:35 am So far, I was not able to get to a state where rotating the device did not restore the virtual buttons to the "normal" dimensions, even when quitting the level with "broken" button dimensions.
I meant you have to leave the orientation as it was. Don't turn the device. Start playing a level with deformed buttons, quit it immediately and go to settings of virtual buttons to look at how they were (slightly) distorted. After that, you need to set buttons afresh (even if you go back to the level, rotating the device won't restore "good" buttons).