Supaplex graphical weird thing

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

mat

Supaplex graphical weird thing

Post by mat »

Does it really occur in original Supaplex?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DjHMxK ... p=drivesdk
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Supaplex graphical weird thing

Post by Holger »

This is what the above screen cast shows:
sp_bug_step_1.png
sp_bug_step_1.png (187.29 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
sp_bug_step_2.png
sp_bug_step_2.png (186.96 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
sp_bug_step_3.png
sp_bug_step_3.png (191.33 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
So the question is about that zonk being pushed when Murphy explodes, removing the right part of the zonk, while the left part stays in the playfield...
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

And here is the answer to your question, just tested with original Supaplex ("SPFIX63.EXE") in DOSBOX:
sp_dosbox.png
sp_dosbox.png (29.25 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
So, yes, it really occurs exactly that way in original Supaplex.
mat

Post by mat »

Oh, I thought so. Thanks very much :) Sorry for sharing the links instead of presenting the problem in a text / picture form. I see you take screenshots of my videos whereby I busy you... Sorry again :(
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

No problem -- just thought it would be faster and easier to read and understand for other forum users. :-)

BTW, there are quite a number of such flaws or quirks in the Supaplex game engine -- R'n'D implements them all exactly like in the original game, as the engine code is a 1:1 representation of the original assembler code of the original Supaplex (well, the improved Speed Fix 6.3+ by Herman Perk), translated from x86 assembler to VisualBasic for Megaplex by Frank Schindler, and finally transcoded from VisualBasic to C using a little Perl script... :D

The reason for all these quirks is the fact that the Supaplex game engine is an "asynchronous" game engine (just like the R'n'D game engine itself), generally allowing for game elements to exist at different "in-between movement positions", while other game engines (like the Emerald Mine game engine) are synchronous, so all objects always move at the same movement position (in fact, they snap from one tile to the next, with a delay between jumping from one tile to the next, during that a movement animation is displayed -- but the objects are technically always either on the first or the next tile, never in between).