[4.2.0.0] Fake acid is walkable for player, but... what about others? + Editor shortcuts

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

[4.2.0.0] Fake acid is walkable for player, but... what about others? + Editor shortcuts

Post by Eizzoux »

I kind of understand that fake acid is only walkable in Emerald Mine engine, but there's something else weird about it... Any other EM/EMC element once stumbled upon them are just eating it: rocks, yams, androids, amoeba... once they go into fake acid, it vanishes. I'm not sure if that's intended, but I'm sorry for misunderstanding if it actually is.
usrhtkg.png
usrhtkg.png (95.83 KiB) Viewed 2269 times
And at least if it is, just not to make this post completely pointless then, a little nitpick: in 4.2.0.0 (maybe only on 32-bit, I don't know) some of the editor shortcuts are missing, like Shift+I (level conf screen), Shift+R (full rectangle), Shift+S (save changes)... pretty much all of the Shift+char combinations, except Shift+U (redo action), it seems to be the only working one there. A little bit unpleasant especially if you pretty much overuse these buttons while making a level (at least Shift+S for certain).
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Re: [4.2.0.0] Fake acid is walkable for player, but... what about others? + Editor shortcuts

Post by Holger »

I kind of understand that fake acid is only walkable in Emerald Mine engine, but there's something else weird about it... Any other EM/EMC element once stumbled upon them are just eating it: rocks, yams, androids, amoeba... once they go into fake acid, it vanishes. I'm not sure if that's intended, but I'm sorry for misunderstanding if it actually is.
Yes, this is weird. And yes, this is the intended behaviour. ;-) :shock:

In fact, the "fake acid" element (and its behaviour in the original EMC player) is indeed something that could be considered a bug (but maybe it was really intended that way ... I don't know).

In the original game, it is only some sort of "graphical garbage", but not really a game element, so every other element (including the player) just treat it as empty space. In case of non-player elements, this means that the fake acid graphics are erased once another element occupies that tile. However, the player is special here: In the original game, a sprite is used for the player element, so it does *not* erase existing graphics on the same tile. That's why fake acid "survives" the player passing it.

Have a look at level 0 from the EMC level set "Down Under Mine 16", which makes use of this "concept". :)

(This behaviour was not correctly implemented before version 4.2.0.0, where monsters were blocked by fake acid, which was wrong.)
And at least if it is, just not to make this post completely pointless then, a little nitpick: in 4.2.0.0 (maybe only on 32-bit, I don't know) some of the editor shortcuts are missing, like Shift+I (level conf screen), Shift+R (full rectangle), Shift+S (save changes)... pretty much all of the Shift+char combinations, except Shift+U (redo action), it seems to be the only working one there. A little bit unpleasant especially if you pretty much overuse these buttons while making a level (at least Shift+S for certain).
(Hm, this should have gone to its own thread... :? )

Oops! :o

Seems you are right! I have no freakin' idea what broke this, but I will investigate it soon!

I was 100% sure last night that version 4.2.0.1 will follow soon... ;-)
Holger
Site Admin

Re: [4.2.0.0] Fake acid is walkable for player, but... what about others? + Editor shortcuts

Post by Holger »

Again this one:
Found and fixed it! This was a regression of a key input fix for Android, but caused the problems you described on any other platform. :-/

The fix will be released with a new hotfix release 4.2.0.1 very soon!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Just released version 4.2.0.1 that fixes this bug!