Moving left has a lag/delay

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

AMartin

Moving left has a lag/delay

Post by AMartin »

Hi,
I'm running R'n'D version 4.0.1.0, (but also tried newest downloaded version 4.1.1.0), OS Linux Mint 19.1, and the game is great, except on most levels (not always) I cannot move left as fast as in other directions. It moves only after some time, reaction is delayed, which on level 23 (first one when pigs appear) is impossible as you have to move quickly due to falling diamonds. Moving up, down, right is normal, but for some reason moving left has a lag/delay and in consequence, diamonds fall on my head - game over. I thought it could be my keyboard, I even remove the left key to check if it's alright and checked in some text editor, it works fine.
I even changed keys in game settings to map keys from keypad, and it's still the same, so clearly, something happens in the game that makes it. I checked, and the left key is not being used elsewhere in the game, so double assignment left key should not be an issue here.

Anyone had experienced anything similar or know how to solve it?
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Moving left has a lag/delay

Post by Holger »

First of all, welcome to the forum, AMartin! :)

This really sounds very strange, and I have never heard of such weird behaviour, nor experienced something like this by myself. :shock:

A few questions:

- does this also happen with version 4.1.1.0 on your system?
- have you experienced similar problems on another system?
- do you have a chance to test this with a game pad or joystick?
- do you use the precompiled binary, or have you built the game from source?

I have no idea so far what could have caused such strange problems... :o
AMartin

Post by AMartin »

Hi and thank you for a quick reply :)

I have installed R'n'D via repository, loved the game and started to play.
Then I notice such a weird behaviour, that going left was many times associated with a lag.
Yesterday, after a level I couldn't go through without left key working properly, I checked the version, went online, read a bit through last changes list to see what fixes were made, and couldn't see anything regarding the "left key".
So downloaded Linux source code, but used only a binary file that was included inside.
I run it, version was 4.1.1.0, but it also remembered my level and settings (arrow keys were set to a num pad keys as I set it up previously), but the lag still persisted.

I can delete all the setting, but I doubt that this may help, and I'll lose all my levels (I guess).
Everywhere else my keys work properly.
What's more, I run the dos version 3.1.0 via DosBox, and all keys works just fine :)

Not sure what could this be, but I'm open to try some solutions as I really like the game.
To answer your questions:
1) yes, as described above
2) didn't try the game on other system
3) I have no pad or joystick
4) Installed from Mint repository (probably it's Ubuntu as Mint is build on top of Ubuntu) and then checked a binary (included in sources file) downloaded from your website.

UPDATE
I cannot see the symptoms today.
Maybe this means that something is going on with my system, some app, daemon.
I'll have a look next few days closely to that, and if it happens, I'll try to investigate what could be the reason, like some daemon, Cinnamon, etc.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Thank you for the additional information! Still no idea what's going on, though.
I can delete all the setting, but I doubt that this may help, and I'll lose all my levels (I guess).
If you want to test "from scratch" on Linux, without losing your levels, scores or settings, just rename the directory "~/.rocksndiamonds" to something else (like "~/.rocksndiamonds.tmp") and restart the game. When done testing, delete (or rename) the newly created directory "~/.rocksndiamonds" and rename "~/.rocksndiamonds.tmp" back to "~/.rocksndiamonds".
I cannot see the symptoms today.
This really sounds like something else caused the strange effect which affected the "left" key...
AMartin

Post by AMartin »

Hi,

After some time, other keyboard keys started not to work, but not only in the game, in general.
It turns out, that my Microsoft wireless keyboard starts to disintegrate and it wasn't the game or Linux fault..

Therefore, I think we can close this thread.
Thanks you for you quick responses and help!
Regards,
AMartin
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Thanks a lot for your post! Really good to know that it wasn't some hidden bug in R'n'D! :)