Impossibly high scores in Hall of Fame

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

ncrecc

Impossibly high scores in Hall of Fame

Post by ncrecc »

Every now and then I seem to catch a glimpse of scores in the Hall of Fame (scores that I do not have tapes for anymore :?) that are waaaay higher than what seems possible in the levels they are tied to. Take, for example, "my" scores for Level 6, "Starships", of Niko Boehm's tutorial:
The 706 and 703 scores are absurdly high, given how all of the other scores are in the 300 range. In fact, they should be literally impossible - this level has a time limit of 200 awarding 1 point for each second left on the clock, and you can only earn up to 160 more points - 60 for getting all of the emeralds, 60 for getting all of the diamonds, 20 for dropping two rocks on ships, and 10 for leading a ship into amoeba.
And no, the scoring formula has not changed between versions. I tried this again with RnD 4.1.0.0 (the oldest version I have used and recorded scores with) and got similar results - no way I could possibly get near 700. I suspect this is some sort of score corruption.

EDIT: I have a hunch that the auto-increment level feature might have something to do with this. One time, on a different set, I saved a score for Level 0, and it was only reported for Level 1.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Impossibly high scores in Hall of Fame

Post by Holger »

EDIT: I have a hunch that the auto-increment level feature might have something to do with this. One time, on a different set, I saved a score for Level 0, and it was only reported for Level 1.
Yes, that's exactly the cause for this "score bug". It was accidentally introduced with the "auto-increment level" feature.

This bug is already fixed in the Git repository of the R'n'D source code, and the bugfix will be available with the next release version.