Play as any of four player alone... or maybe not?

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

Play as any of four player alone... or maybe not?

Post by Eizzoux »

After seeing this topic I found an interesting bug that occurs differently on R'n'D and EM engines. The point is that you can play as any other player than first alone on any level if with at least two players. For example, complete Helge Hafting's "Avalanche" by only playing as red player (player 2) without even spawning all other players. Pretty pointless bug, but it came useful for levels like in that topic I referred above.
Helge Hafting's Avalanche with only player 4
Helge Hafting's Avalanche with only player 4
e0.png (23.81 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
First you need to have a level with at least two players. Let's just create one with all four players, separate them with walls and give the fourth player (blue) the only exit on the level.
Create a 4-players level
Create a 4-players level
e1.png (15.21 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
As you can see, you can't solve this level unless you would turn on the "Only one player must enter exit". Even with teamwork disabled it's still impossible since only player 4 has the exit door.
Only blue guy has access to the exit door, so level can't be legally completed
Only blue guy has access to the exit door, so level can't be legally completed
e2.png (20.17 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
Fortunately, this issue is still solvable, because that's what you need to do:
  1. First you need to have teamwork mode turned on if you haven't, play the level and then exit it,
  2. Choose the player 4 as the Preferred network player, then turn on the network multiplayer mode, play the level just to check if you can control blue guy now,
    Choose player 4 and enable the Network multiplayer
    Choose player 4 and enable the Network multiplayer
    e3.png (8.3 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
    Check if you're controlling the preferred player
    Check if you're controlling the preferred player
    e4.png (21.64 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
  3. Go back to settings and turn off the network multiplayer back, then same for teamwork multiplayer, only after this you can play the level again.
    Turn back off the network play and team mode
    Turn back off the network play and team mode
    e5.png (8.2 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
As you can see now, every player except blue player is now gone, and you can solve the level as him now.
Now blue guy is alone instead of yellow one
Now blue guy is alone instead of yellow one
e6.png (18.79 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
Doing the same trick in Emerald Mine engine actually causes a little bug to occur: if you try to change the game engine to Emerald Mine and then do the same trick, instead of spawning only preferred player, it actually spawns only player 1, but you don't have any control of him even if you try focussing on him (F5) or focussing on any other player (F6, F7, F8).
In the Emerald Mine engine yellow guy still spawns, but he can't be controlled
In the Emerald Mine engine yellow guy still spawns, but he can't be controlled
e7.png (17.39 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
I don't think it's a bad bug, maybe only on Emerald Mine since it spawns frozen player 1, but the bug itself... maybe that's just more of a trick, not a bug, really. And it's one of those which is kind of fun to discover and then try it on some other user made levels :)
𒈟
BrownSky

Re: Play as any of four player alone... or maybe not?

Post by BrownSky »

Hmmm. Where is this "Only one player must enter exit" setting? I cannot find it in RnD 4.1.1.0. All I can see that looks at all similar is "Only move focussed player".
Eizzoux

Re: Play as any of four player alone... or maybe not?

Post by Eizzoux »

BrownSky wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:14 am Hmmm. Where is this "Only one player must enter exit" setting?
It's in any player's config 1 page
𒈟