butterfliies containing...nothing?

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

monsterman

butterfliies containing...nothing?

Post by monsterman »

When I tried to smash a butterfly in a level, it produced to diamonds AT ALL.
monsterman

:o

Post by monsterman »

Everything else that has a 3X3 explosion and an actual content also does that.:shock:
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> When I tried to smash a butterfly in a level, it produced to diamonds AT ALL.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean here... :-o
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

From your other post about it:

> When I played a level, I tried to smash a butterfly, and it blown up
> WITHOUT producing bd diamonds.

Oops, OK, now I know.

Well, that's strange indeed. Is it reproducible? Which level, from which set, was it?
monsterman

This is the level:

Post by monsterman »

It was level 041: "kill it!", in the levelset "Ben Braithwaite - Ben 200"
Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Remember that one 'butterfly' is actually called a "firefly" and produces no content when smashed. If I remember correctly, it's purple & red?

Also, check that it wasn't a CE.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

A firefly is purple and red in Rocks'n'Diamonds and produces no content, as Sigma said.

A butterfly is red and yellow in R'n'D and normally produces BD diamonds when exploding when smashed. In most levels, this works for me.

I have checked the level that monsterman mentioned. Using using 3.2.6.0, the (genuine) butterfly failed to produce diamonds.

I cannot reproduce this bug by creating a new level, so it must be a compatibility bug since the levelset is fairly old (Contributions 2000).
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Sigma

Post by Sigma »

This is an interesting problem.
On version 3.2.4, it did correctly produce diamonds, providing the following did not happen:

If the butterfly comes up and the rock is pushed on top of it so it starts going back down, it will explode as it moves to where the arrow is located. But like Daniel H., I was also unable to replicate this in a newer level as the butterfly moves too fast and avoids the rock as it turns.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

I was able to smash the butterfly both in this level in 3.2.6.0 and in a new level in 3.2.6.0.

(I think the trick to the level was smashing the butterfly while it was moving up the right side.)

The difference is that in the old level (which is set to be run in a "compatibility" mode), when played in 3.2.6.0, the butterfly explosion yields no diamonds. But I did smash it.

In a new level where the level file was created with 3.2.6.0, I cannot reproduce the bug.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.