Clicking on Elements while Playing Rocks 'n' Diamonds

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Daniel H.

Clicking on Elements while Playing Rocks 'n' Diamonds

Post by Daniel H. »

Here's an idea:

New change conditions:
  • When LEFT-CLICKED BY USER, change.
  • When USER LEFT-CLICKS ELEMENT x, change.
  • When RIGHT-CLICKED BY USER...
Middle-clicking would be nice too. Clicking could cause actions to happen.

In RndTest, clicking causes the player to move. This change condition require some changes and may mess up RndTest, so I don't expect that it will be considered for any versions earlier than 3.2.1.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Although it's not principally a bad idea, R'n'D should be playable using an input device with four directions and two buttons (like a joystick). Using the mouse to click elements or keys on the keyboard for advanced functionality would make the game not only far more complex than it currently is (which is not necessarily a bad thing), but would make in fact a different kind of game, I think. Therefore I think we should stay with the player-oriented input scheme for now. :-)
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

In RndTest, clicking causes the player to move.
With "-mousemode=49" the player can:
move with left click.
snap with right click (on snap position).
drop with right click (on player position).

and with "Pause" on, the Player can learn the way he should go. (learn mode for dangerous situations)
middle mouse button repeats the last learn sequence.

All mouse actions control the player nothing else.
And it should be possible to play the game with the mouse.
This should be enough. Actions on elements with the "input" device dont fit into this game concept.

btw: "SnakeBite" is mostly nice to play with mousemode=31.
"Sokoban" with mousemode=1

Look here: http://www.horseandgroome.de/
And the answer is ... 42 !
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> All mouse actions control the player nothing else.

Yep, that's how it should be. Therefore, RndTest fits well into the concept I described above -- it just maps mouse events to player actions (although in a more intelligent way than a joystick would do, of course ;-) ).

> And it should be possible to play the game with the mouse.

Which is a cool thing! :-)

> This should be enough. Actions on elements with the "input" device dont
> fit into this game concept.

That's the whole point. It would make R'n'D a totally different game... (Which is, as mentioned, not bad in itself -- it just doesn't fit well into the game concept of R'n'D.)
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Holger wrote:Using the mouse to click elements or keys on the keyboard for advanced functionality...would make in fact a different kind of game, I think. Therefore I think we should stay with the player-oriented input scheme for now. :-)
That's true. It would open many new possibilities for Rocks 'n' Diamonds, and it would make it VERY easy to transform Rocks 'n' Diamonds into another game that has nothing to do with moving a player around.

The levels that used only the mouse would take over many people's interests in the game. Most people may forget about moving a player around and collecting diamonds while pushing rocks out of the way. Then everybody would say, "Where did the game Rocks 'n' Diamonds get its name?" :(

Bottom line -- that's a good point. :wink:
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.