play solution tapes instead of recorded tapes

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Martijn

play solution tapes instead of recorded tapes

Post by Martijn »

I see that many levelsets have a special tapes folder with the solutions of each level. That's a good thing, but to see these solutions, you always have to copy them to the tapes directory in the My Documents folder. Wouldn't it be a better idea to have a special function in the game to load these solution tapes (if available), instead of the tapes which have been recorded by yourself?

So, I mean an option in the game (a special key or a button or so) to switch between the real solution tapes and the tapes you have recorded yourself.
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
bojster

Post by bojster »

Eject the (recorded) tape, type :ist, play the (solution) tape.
It's probably good that it's "hard", sort of an in-game cheat, otherwise people might get lazy and play solution tapes too often. ;-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yep, exactly.

Once somebody asked me about cheat modes in R'n'D, and was very disappointed to hear that there were no such cheat modes available at that time. So now you have at least this cheat mode (and maybe others)! :-)

BTW: ":ist" is a shortcut for ":insert-solution-tape", which also works, but is obviously far too long to type. ;-)

As bojster said, remember to have an empty tape recorder when attempting to insert a solution tape (by ejecting the current tape), and remember that not every level set has solution tapes (although bojster did a great job in the past to provide solution tapes for a whole lot of old and new level sets :-) ).