save game limit

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Martijn

save game limit

Post by Martijn »

Sometimes a level is very difficult and almost impossible to finish without saving. But then, the danger of saving every 10 steps is very big. At least, for me.

How about making a saving limit, which can be turned off in the menu for people who still want to save their game a thousand times?
And it would still be better to set determine the limit yourself. If you want a maximum of 1 save per level, you set '1', if you want 2, you set '2', etc.

Well, how about this?
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Well, that could be one way of handling the "problem", another could be "Savepoints". Savepoints are walkable, indestructible (or maybe not...), protected elements so that the player can ONLY save the game/tape when standing on a savepoint.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Zomis wrote:Well, that could be one way of handling the "problem", another could be "Savepoints". Savepoints are walkable, indestructible (or maybe not...), protected elements so that the player can ONLY save the game/tape when standing on a savepoint.
But there are many older levels that don't have these savepoints! If you have a look at my site, you will see how many of them are there.
Last edited by Martijn on Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zomis

Post by Zomis »

(Sorry for not noticing this before).

Yes, all current levels don't have savepoints of course, so those levels would have to have the current way of handling it.

Btw, Holger... any opinion?
bojster

Post by bojster »

It might be that the save limit is set within a level itself (just like a time limit). And like a time limit, this 'feature' could be disabled in the options. Savepoints might be a good idea as well, though I would prefer to choose point-of-save by myself.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

yes! Bojster's idea is very good! Holger, what's your opinion on this? How about making a level setting of it?

Zomis

Post by Zomis »

I think Zelda is a level in which savepoints could be used. It's up to the author where to place them of course... Otherwise... there's always the pause option.