Separate Gravity for Each Player

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Daniel H.

Separate Gravity for Each Player

Post by Daniel H. »

On a multiplayer level, when gravity is off, and one player enters a gravity port, everybody gets gravity.

I wouldn't think that changing this would affect too many current levels, but it could mess up some.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

It shouldn't be too hard to add a compatibility option so level authors will be able to choose which behavior do they want.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yep, that's the way it should be done.

Probably "player based gravity" is a better concept here anyway -- in Supaplex (with only one player), gravity seems to be used in a way that there are "rooms" with gravity and othere without (in the same level), controlled by the gravity tubes. So, if there is more than one player, these rooms should probably behave to each player independently from the location of the other players. That's why player based gravity is probably better than level based gravity.

I will probably change this accordingly, and add a compatibility switch.
Last edited by Holger on Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Holger wrote:I will probably change this accordingly, and add a compatibility option.
That would be nice! :)
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Done! Please have a look at it in 3.2.0-8 I just released.

I think we even don't need a compatibility switch -- just start all four players with initial gravity, if needed. Changing gravity for all players when one passes a gravity port is really an odd concept, so if it doesn't break existing levels (I know of none), we should keep it that way (individual, player based gravity).

Please check if it works as expected, then I'll keep it that way for 3.2.0! :-)