Debugging CE changes/actions

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Zomis

Debugging CE changes/actions

Post by Zomis »

I was just wondering, using some kind of debug command/feature/button/toggle, if it could be possible to show all CE changes and CE actions somehow.
This would make it much easier for levelcreators to debug their CE Techniques.

The output could be in the main game window and then removed after a while (like when typing a chat command in good old Warcraft 2), however... that would probably need tons of graphic engine modifications.
So whatabout outputting to stdout.txt or stderr.txt ?
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Zomis wrote:This would make it much easier for levelcreators to debug their CE Techniques.
I've had many times myself when I would want a debugger! :)

When I am trying to figure out what is happening with my CEs, I have to make other "temporary debugging CEs" to try and solve the problem. :cry:
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

The output could be in the main game window and then removed after a while (like when typing a chat command in good old Warcraft 2), however... that would probably need tons of graphic engine modifications.
So whatabout outputting to stdout.txt or stderr.txt ?
What about the following: there will be a button/key "next frame", which will, when pressed, do one more game frame and highlight changed/moved elements.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Tomi wrote:What about the following: there will be a button/key "next frame", which will, when pressed, do one more game frame and highlight changed/moved elements.
That sounds good! :)
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.