Online leveleditor.

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

asiekierka

Online leveleditor.

Post by asiekierka »

For level teamwork we can do the application to teamwork on level.

That application will be a RND level editor for online.

Or we can that build in RND.

It's really better than other application. (Maybe better online support (like that) and 4 next player color will be cool, with online leveleditor with chat).

Maybe it will be in 3.6.0 (or 3.5.1)...
GraphicsPack project: 90%
IconXT project: 100% (version final is ready)
How Do I

Post by How Do I »

That might be pretty cool, so multiple can work on it? That'll make it go faster :P

Also, make like a chat thing with it unless you have like AIM or something.
--------~Hello, I'm a newb :D~--------
asiekierka

Post by asiekierka »

Online multiplaying is already.

There will be (best) that structure:
Admin
- Helper 1
- More helpers...

Admin can decide who actually edit level and who not.
GraphicsPack project: 90%
IconXT project: 100% (version final is ready)
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Hmmm, potentially programmable, but I don't consider that being a good idea at all. I'll try to explain why.

Level creating has two parts: CEs and level content.

CEs editing has also two parts: the idea how to implement what we need and putting the stuff in the editor (= clicking the buttons etc).
I think that having multiple people to do the second part would do more harm than otherwise, and it's really easy anyway.
The CE idea: I think that working in a group doesn't make thinking easier. Only one person finds out the idea anyway. If you need help, you don't need a specific online editor for that, chat is good enough, and a forum maybe even better.

About level content:
If more people edit one level, the organisation may be, for example, as follows:
a) the group doesn't have any organisation at all and everyone destroys someone else's work
b) each person makes one part of the level
c) one person makes first level version and then the others improve it
IMO using "a" can't result in a good level. For "b", I think that RnD level size limits (128x128) make the technique unusable. For "c", again, posting the level on a forum and then using the suggestions are IMO just as good.

In summary, I'm not excited about the idea very much.
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

I really gotta agree with Tomi on this one, this really isnt that much of a good idea...
It also seems highly impractical when theres so many other methods you could use to "make" levels together
You could use the element icons that the forums have, you could draw on a web based white board a level plan, you could make some of the level then send it to someone else to add to.

And for starters, theres much more important things id like to see before this ;-)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Even though the idea sounds cool, it's not worth it.
Besides, it COULD be made as a third-party program, even so that 2 or more users can edit the same level at once, without disturbing each others views or so...