Passing values when changing CEs

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Francesco

Passing values when changing CEs

Post by Francesco »

What about an option that allows you to pass values when a CE changes to another?

Imagine that you have CE1 which changes through many other CEs and then turns back into CE1.
Then you have CE2, which must go through the same change cycle to turn back to CE2.

If you put CE2 at the start of CE1's cycle, it would end, obviously, into CE1.

It can be solved by allowing CE2 to pass a tag value to the first CE of the cycle, so that the last one knows that it was started by CE2 instead of CE1, and then it acts subsequently.

Is it clear enough? Is it yet implemented?
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I think I know what you mean.

Could you please describe how you would design the interface to specify this in the CE settings? That's where I still have some problems to imagine how this could be done in a generic and easily understandable way...
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Since the main action is the creation of a CE, we could imagine that there is a "mother" and a "son". In the life of each instance of the single CEs, they can remember and pass it. They can be told to do it or not.
Holger wrote:Could you please describe how you would design the interface to specify this in the CE settings?
A tickable text box for setting it and a tickable dynamic dropdown list in the changepage to evaluate it, I think...
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Hmm... isn't this related to CE Value and "Keep CE value after change" somehow?
The CE Value is which parent the CE has.
The "Keep CE value after change" option is whether to pass the parent information on to the next CE or not. I don't really know how this option currently works, and how it would work in your idea, but it seems very related.

Or have I misunderstood something?
Just trying to think about how this, maybe, could be invented using the CE Technology avalible (or at least parts of it).
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I think there are a lot of things that I don't know about all RnD CEs, so I think I'll stop posting ideas until I got some more knowledge.

I hope that I did not make you (you all) forgot the levels I submitted, because moreover the technical aspect of this all (for which I must start learning C) I want to know the aesthetical opinion about them.
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Francesco wrote:I think there are a lot of things that I don't know about all RnD CEs, so I think I'll stop posting ideas until I got some more knowledge.
Well, I don't think you need to stop posting ideas totally. Especially since I'm definetly not sure whether this could be possible or not. And also, Holger seems to like the idea so far.

But I don't know if learning C would help you much. C is a huge language and the RND source isn't very well commented or structured in an understandable way.

Continue to learn CEs, I see you've learnt some techniques so far, continue that way. But you don't need to know C to know CEs.