Importing Sprites from Emerald Mines

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Sandancer

Importing Sprites from Emerald Mines

Post by Sandancer »

Hi all I was wondering if you can imports the level sprites from the old AMIGA Emerald Mines, I have them all and i would really like to see the sprites of some of the mines IE, BOND MINES etc.........
Any info would be really helpful...............
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

I think Holger mentioned something a while ago about being able to use lower resolution graphics for the elements for use in the Emerald Mines engine. So if this is made possible it should be easy enough to change the graphics to a format usable by RnD.

Of course I could be completely wrong... confirmation would be nice *nudge nudge*
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Darkon is right here.

The upcoming new version 3.2.0 is quickly reaching its final state now, and as some people already know, it will have full support for old Emerald Mine and Emerald Mine Club levels with a new (additional) game engine that is 99,9% compatible to the original EMC engine.

Together with this new engine there will be a complete update of the old EMC level package. While the old package still contains EMC levels converted for the "normal" R'n'D game engine, the new package will not only contain the exact original level files ("exact" as in "you can even look at the level file timestamp to see if it was created in January or February of 1989", for example), but also the original graphics and sounds of the classic EMC disks.

The artwork files had to be converted for R'n'D, because the different player graphics in EMC were created internally by changing color palette values, which would require specific code to load these graphics. To support the more generic approach of the artwork engine of R'n'D, the EMC graphics files were converted to PCX files where the player graphics were created in different colors accordingly. (Only the scaling is done internally in R'n'D, so the EMC graphics still have the 16x16 pixel tile size instead of the normal 32x32 pixel tile size, and are scaled up after loading in R'n'D.)

As the final result, all classic EMC disks (level sets) can now be played with 100% original graphics and sounds (and game engine), all integrated in R'n'D so you can even create your own, new levels using the same artwork and game engine as the "Bond Mines" EMC disks, for example. :-)

Sandancer, I hope that this is fine for you -- if you still have any EMC disks (or sprites) that are not yet in the new EMC level package, I will happily add them to the package (or convert the graphics for you).

I expect the new EMC level package to be released shortly after the release of the final version 3.2.0 of R'n'D. (Maybe even before, as the current stable version 3.1.1 already contains most abilities to play those levels.)
Sandancer

Post by Sandancer »

Thanks for the info there Holger I cant wait for the final realease.....

Maybe my Amiga will get a long rest now :D :D