Simplified interface for children

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Francesco

I was Kugurrah!

Post by Francesco »

I was Kugurrah!

Sorry for this mess of identities! I have changed my avatar and my username, now they reflect my beingness in a better way :D

For Holger wrote
"Although it would probably be useful too, you cannot directly set the position of the menu options one by one."
I'm a bit sad.

Having more time I would start studying the source code to modify it. In this case I think I'll need some tool... any advice?

- by the way I should learn a new language :shock: -
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Alan

Post by Alan »

Hi Francesco,

Glad you and your child like snakebite.

Just out of curiosity, why are you using snakebite_jue to edit the game??? You would be better off editing the main snakebite game since jue's is an extended level set and doesn't contain the main graphics etc.

just a thought....
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Hi Alan, I'm glad to talk directly to you: thank you for SB, the little gamer is gone mad for that! (He has got some problems with single-step movements, but I'm trying to draw levels that don't need them)

I used the Jue's version just for ignorance. I noticed that it was smaller than the original's folder, and I preferred it because I had to update my new levels on different PCs as soon as I got new levels. (By the way, SB is very heavy for a 500MHz, so I decided to pull out all music and sounds, just to make loading faster and playing smoother)

Now that I'm gathering more information about the structure of the game, I'm trying to make an Italian version of SB starting from the original folder, but I think it will take a loooong time...

I've got a (new?) idea: it is to port the concept of pulling CEs (the tail of the snake) to classic RnD, making Rokford able to pull items, or even to pull chains of items, sticked one to the other. Something like boxes with hooks. It could be ampliated with different types of boxes, i.e. a pass-through box. Maybe it's not so clear, but I think you'll get the sense.

I am the last person who could make something like this - I have to completely understand the existing elements, not to speak about creating CEs!

Besides, I found very nice that creating a level with no player start, with a body maker and a snake's head - one away to the other -, lets you travel with the head, and lets you go to "repick" the tail (unfortunately it's an *infinite* tail :))

...maybe I'm just messing around...

[EDIT]
Just a little addition: I noticed that using different level files as templates for making my custom ones, it results in a different appearance of many elements in the selection area of the editor. Maybe it's a normal behaviour and it's due to the fact that the different files belong to different levelsets... yes, I think this is the case.
[EDIT]
Francesco

rndTest-0-4

Post by Guest »

Hi,
please download rndTest-0-4.zip from Zomis file archive
(extract to your rnd dir) and try:

> rnd_vc6 -sokomode=1 -gameatwork -nextseries=HerzAusGold

At level 1 you can click on a pushable lamp then on the target.
And try level 2 (Its an menu! Warping the player to series you walk through).

Of course you can type:

> rnd_vc6 -sokomode=1 -gameatwork -nextseries=snake_bite

For your child you can make a shortcut (dont forget to set the working
folder) That what i do for my children.

Have fun. 8)

Post by Guest »

:? eh?

This is so way off topic, that I think it's posted in the wrong place by mistake. Sombody move it please....
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

[EDIT]
Thank you Guest for your advice, it is perfectly on topic. I am the person you were talking to.
[EDIT]

I have understood what I'm going to get, but... when decompressing it in the RnD folder, it prompted for overwriting some files - I gave a negative answer. Did I made a mistake? To be sincere I feared to damage RnD :oops:

Anyway, when trying "C:\RnD\rnd_vc6 -sokomode=1 -gameatwork -nextseries=HerzAusGold", the system answers that the file MSVCRTD.dll is missing.

What's up?
Francesco
Alan

Post by Alan »

I used the Jue's version just for ignorance. I noticed that it was smaller than the original's folder
Right I see now,
A good idea, but unfortunately you can't run Jue's levels without the main snakebite game as this contains the graphics for the snake, enemies, walls and all the sounds. Unless you're prepered to do some severe customisation there's little chance of getting it smaller.......believe me I tried! ;-)
Just a little addition: I noticed that using different level files as templates for making my custom ones, it results in a different appearance of many elements in the selection area of the editor. Maybe it's a normal behaviour and it's due to the fact that the different files belong to different levelsets... yes, I think this is the case
This could be a few things, but it sounds like missing snakebite files and the game (and editor) are reverting to the default graphics (This could be because of the above)
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Is again for ignorance that I used to copy the whole folder instead of the single level files - Strange, but I did - Due to the fact that the three PCs involved have RND & SB installed, it is reasonably better.

As regards my editor's strangelitudes, it is clearly the case depicted: SB_Jue levels into SB folder. My fault, again :(

Now there should be the fault about "rndTest-0-4.zip", as posted above...

- About the idea of the pulling elements, should I post it as a new thread? And what about the "pick-up tail"? Imagine a level with several tails of different lenght, or with mushrooms that add more than a unit of tail...
I think it could become a robotic snake in a Supaplex style... more! :idea: A conductable multipurposes robotic snake with a separate driver like Rockford.

Why there isn't the emoticon for "gone crazy"?
Last edited by Francesco on Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Francesco wrote: - About the idea of the pulling elements, should I post it as a new thread?
Yes, please do so. I consider it to be a completely different subject.
HerzAusGold

rndTest04user

Post by HerzAusGold »

Because Zomis server is down...
You can download rndTest04user.zip - with a new exe - it's more user friendly (and not only for developers) here - in the archive section:

www.horseandgroome.de

This is web-site is always under construction.
And the answer is ... 42 !
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Thank you Herz for the link (and overall for the patch!)
Did not try it yet, busy messing out things in the "Pullable / Chainable CEs" thread :roll: :D

--- as usual, started using sumthing for "humanitary" reasons and got involved up to the hat! ---
Francesco