Some little gadgets

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

JM

Some little gadgets

Post by JM »

Transparent pipelines to see when the player is inside.

Bouncing balls, vertically bouncing and the player must run downside the walk without be squashed

Color lights of some diferent colors to iluminate some objects in any way, for example iluminating invisible walls or enemies when the light is turned on.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yes, these are all well implemented CEs from BD2K3, if I remember correctly! :-)
Mark

Post by Mark »

I do not quite understand the coding concept behind the transparency idea. I mean, so far... Is't that only possible by using black as the base color for an element? Or could we see the player run(animated) through another element that could also... have animations? Since each element is able to be animated... I do not think that is possible. That, or I just don't understand the concept of how it would work.
The Emerald King
Alan

Post by Alan »

It's masking really, not transparancy (which is alpha blending etc).

Any element (animating or not) that the player can "walk under" will use black (R=0, G=0, B=0) as the mask and you'll see Rockford under it. So for example you could have an animated wall with a full black window, you'll only see Rockford's head if you walk under it. As for BD2K3 these where the turnstyle pipes, simply a pipe with a black circle on it! :wink:

If the player can "walk inside" the element, then the mask colour is ignored (is that right Holger?)

You can use an off-black colour which is indistinguishable from pure black, something like (R=10, G=10, B=10) and this can be used as a fake mask (you wont see Rockford under it). It's how the gradient fonts work in Snakebite (pure black font surrounded by off-black fill, which is displayed on top of a gradient)
Bouncing balls, vertically bouncing and the player must run downside the walk without be squashed

Color lights of some diferent colors to iluminate some objects in any way, for example iluminating invisible walls or enemies when the light is turned on.
Yep, these are in BD2K3.....nothing amazing though. I'm guessing you never played it ;-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> If the player can "walk inside" the element, then the mask colour is
> ignored (is that right Holger?)

Yep, that's right!

To be more precise: Inside "walk inside" elements, the player is just not displayed at all, regardless of the graphic definition or mask usage.