Difficulty indicator

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

TheVirtualVortex

Difficulty indicator

Post by TheVirtualVortex »

What about putting for each levelset a difficulty indicator (set by the levelset authors) ?

There are now so many levelsets, and when you have them all installed, you don't really know which one are difficult or not.
The problem would be : after which point can we say a level is difficult or not ? How could we evaluate it ?

What do you think ?

I noticed that many levelsets seem to be hard from the very first level.

I liked the first emerald mine (1 & 2) levels very much, because difficulty seemed to be gradual from the first until the last level. I mean, the first levels were easier, and difficulty increases with the level number.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Indeed a good idea, but as you mention the problem is where to draw the difficulty borders.
Some sort of rating would be the only way to solve this probably, could be done easy with SQL and PHP (even in connection with RNDFA), but it isn't something I'll encourage myself into. :/
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

it would be nice, but maybe you think a level is hard and I think it's easy or vice versa.
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Martijn wrote:it would be nice, but maybe you think a level is hard and I think it's easy or vice versa.
Exactly what I thought about. But if so then the level would probably be marked as medium...
but I know, it's always hard to rate difficulty..
richard

Post by richard »

Omg. Ya don´t know how the difficulty would work.

For bad players are normal levels are too hard.
For medium players are normal levels making fun.
For good players are normal levels only boring.

If a level is difficult, a level is difficulter for everybody than an easy level.
The small difference between "I am better in SP than in BD" and vice versa does belong to the abilites of the current player.