player explosion type and contents

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Darkon

player explosion type and contents

Post by Darkon »

im pretty sure this has been mentioned before, by Martijn maybe?

anyhow, it would be great if the player explosion and contents could be customized for each individual player, for graphical reasons (an attractive new explosion method) or other reasons, personally i wanted to change the graphic of the exploding player, but due to the fact that the player explodes in a 3x3 explosion, it looks VERY odd, i really need a 1x1 explosion for it to look ok

and as stated, other engines have different player death methods, so if someone wanted to recreate another game using CE's, it wouldnt be how the player died in the original game

it could also be used to input some kind of "health" system, making so if the player gets hit, it explodes and creates another player (using a linear GE) and when you run out of "health" you finally die
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

It's strange that this post got no replies.

I think that's a very good idea, and if it is discussed elsewhere, I'd like to know. I'm sorry but I can't help since I'm a RnD dummy.
I'm seriously making a New Year's Wish: understanding the CE technics to make a game with RnD. :D
(All the technics? :shock: )
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco

Post by Guest »

I've seen that you can change the explosion type in the element editor. Maybe you can change it for the player too.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Anonymous wrote:I've seen that you can change the explosion type in the element editor. Maybe you can change it for the player too.
No. I don't think the player explosion can be customized yet.

Thank you, Francesco, for putting some life back into this, I think Holger has forgot about the thread and I hope he will reply to this later.

By the way, it's called "all the techniques".
It's a very good goal to have, but a very huge goal as well... since CE Techniques sometimes seems unlimited these days...
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Zomis wrote: By the way, it's called "all the techniques".
I sometimes make mistakes like this, because I have to choose among the variations of similar words in the languages that I speak. I thought that "Techniques" sounded more "French", and opted for "Technics" cause seemed more "English" to me - and because there is a kind of LEGO boxes called this way.

- All excuses, too lazy to look it up in the dictionary! ---
Zomis wrote: It's a very good goal to have, but a very huge goal as well... since CE Techniques sometimes seems unlimited these days...
I'll get the WHOLE CE Tech in this life, and in the next I'll rewrite the source :P

...monstruously off-topic... somebody delete this ;)
Francesco
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I think Holger has forgot about the thread and I hope he will reply to this later.

I have the feeling that I never read this... Maybe it was marked "read" (as described in the forum problems thread), so I missed it! :-o

OK, here we go:

> anyhow, it would be great if the player explosion and contents could be
> customized for each individual player, for graphical reasons (an
> attractive new explosion method) or other reasons, personally i wanted
> to change the graphic of the exploding player, but due to the fact that the
> player explodes in a 3x3 explosion, it looks VERY odd, i really need a 1x1
> explosion for it to look ok

Very good idea! And now that the player's appearance can be changed by CE actions, this step would be only logical.

I've just implemented this ("[x] use explosion from element: [<e>]"), and also added a player artwork start option ("[x] use artwork from element: [<e>]").

This way you can now just use a CE, give it some special explosion attributes (like "1X1" explosion, and butterflies instead of yellow emeralds as the result of the explosion), and set it to be the explosion element that should be used for the player.

> and as stated, other engines have different player death methods, so if
> someone wanted to recreate another game using CE's, it wouldnt be how
> the player died in the original game

Exactly.

> it could also be used to input some kind of "health" system, making so if
> the player gets hit, it explodes and creates another player (using a linear
> GE) and when you run out of "health" you finally die

Also a very good idea! This currently does not work, as the player cannot be re-created when he died. But I may change this in the future...

> > (All the technics? )
> By the way, it's called "all the techniques".

Just a little nitpicking: "technics" is indeed the correct English term for technical techniques (if http://dict.leo.org is right here)... :-)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Holger wrote:> > (All the technics? )
> By the way, it's called "all the techniques".

Just a little nitpicking: "technics" is indeed the correct English term for technical techniques (if http://dict.leo.org is right here)... :-)
But I'm not speaking English, I'm speaking RNDish ;)
(Okay, just kidding... actually didn't know that. Sorry for being wrong, but I think I'll continue to say techniques anyways... it's a habit for me now...)
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

It's slightly off topic, but since the first post speaks about health systems, I want to submit this new levelset of mine.

It's more a joke than a serious thing, but here it goes anyway.

http://spazioinwind.libero.it/entuland/rnd/arkading.htm

The funny idea is that in these levels you will play with Rockford which on his turn will play a videogame (he will "drive" one or more "speed pills" which move as "pacmans", taking emeralds, losing health touching "dynabombs" and gathering health picking up "Murphys"

Notice that dynabombs with different appearance *do have* different behaviour.
Francesco