game speed

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Martijn

game speed

Post by Martijn »

Hi,

How about setting the standard game speed a little higher? It might be a little too slow now.
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> How about setting the standard game speed a little higher? It might be a little too slow now.

You may be right, and others may think that the current game speed is already too high! :-)

So the best solution (planned long ago) is a setup option to set the game speed. This will most probably be needed for the upcoming new engines anyway. For example, I'm just about adding the new EM engine, which has a little bit higher game speed (maybe exactly the speed you are looking for :-) ). So it seems that the "original" game speed of Emerald Mine was indeed a bit higher than the current game speed of R'n'D (although I know people who think that it's already quite fast).

So I think I will add a setup option for "game speed" in version 3.2.0.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

sounds nice! Yes, I think the emerald mine speed is good, although I never played the original emerald mine.
Difficult or not, many other boulder dash games are a little faster. For the people who find this game speed to0 fast, boulderdash is just too hard for them! they still have to train (and play "hard training" from contributions 2004)! :)

Zomis

Post by Zomis »

As long as there will be a much slower speed for testing levels with complex CEs I'll be happy (this option doesn't exists now, one need to rebuild RND with the DEBUG flag on to make it so I think).

I remember an idea about when slowing down the game speed, you don't get highscore. And I agree a lot with that idea, whoever it was who came up with it. Note that this I only think would be for slowing down, speeding up maybe should give player more score ;)
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

I would not give the player NO highscore, I would give him LESS highscore.
btw, I never look at highscores. I don't have to duel with someone else, because my little brother and my friend play it with their own computer.