locked exit

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Martijn

locked exit

Post by Martijn »

How about this: although you have collected all gems in a level, the exit stays locked (only for the player) until all penguins are in!

Now, I sometimes have the problem that I finish the level before they do! And then you can go to the next level and the tape is not stored.
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
richard

Post by richard »

Hmmm... sounds good, but if the exit is closed, how do you want to bring the pinguins in it ? By the way it would destroy many levels.
bojster

Post by bojster »

In some levels there are (on purpose) many exits that you can go into before you should (bringing penguins in), thus wasting the chance to complete the level... so, that feature you suggested would make them too easy. BTW, I think you meant "can't"
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

richard wrote:Hmmm... sounds good, but if the exit is closed, how do you want to bring the pinguins in it ? By the way it would destroy many levels.
Maybe a third state of the exit: a closed exit, an opened exit and an exit only opened for penguins.
bojster wrote:In some levels there are (on purpose) many exits that you can go into before you should (bringing penguins in), thus wasting the chance to complete the level... so, that feature you suggested would make them too easy. BTW, I think you meant "can't"
Why too easy? Only harder! Because you first could exit the level immediately and with this feature you can only exit when the penguins are in!

[/quote]
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
bojster

Post by bojster »

So what if you could get into exit before penguins if it didn't solve the level? Maybe you played with handicap off and that's why you could go to next level while tape wasn't saved? Normally you have to let all penguins in and only then solve the level by entering the exit.
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

or better yet, make it an object feature,
*all penguins needed to exit*
and to tell if all the penguins are needed, a small icon could be displayed to tell the player that there are some on the level that need saving

so a level without the icon means either there are no penguins or you dont need to save them
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

bojster perfectly got the point: Not being able to enter the exit if there are still some penguins around would make levels easier (because you don't really have to care about saving penguins that hard -- if one was missing, you simply notice it by not being able to enter the exit, which makes some levels easier).

Probably it could be nice in some levels to have a counter counting penguins still left to rescue, but it could also be seen as an additional handicap (you have to make sure by yourself that you really guided each and every penguin to the exit).