original supaplex border

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Martijn

original supaplex border

Post by Martijn »

Hello,

How about this:

The supaplex levels (with only supaplex elements in it) get automatically a supaplex border. And NOT a border of supaplex steel walls ('hardware'), but like in the original game.

This is also needed to finish some levels. If the supaplex engine is built in, you can't finish some levels, either. because some levels have a hole in the border. If you go through that hole, you come in on the other side (like pacman games).
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

This is a "trick" (bug) of the original Supaplex game engine. With the new Supaplex game engine, you will be able to do all tricks that were possible in the original Supaplex game.
Zomis

Re: original supaplex border

Post by Zomis »

Martijn wrote:This is also needed to finish some levels. If the supaplex engine is built in, you can't finish some levels, either. because some levels have a hole in the border. If you go through that hole, you come in on the other side (like pacman games).
Sounds like the dream of wrap-around in RND finally comes true, :o 8)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Sounds like the dream of wrap-around in RND finally comes true,

Well, only in the Supaplex engine, not in the general R'n'D engine. (You will only be able to use native Supaplex elements in the upcoming new Supaplex engine; it will be a separate engine that can be selected in the editor, but it won't be able to manage non-Supaplex elements.)
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

But do levels with only supaplex elements in it you make in RnD always get such a border then? Or only the levels which are read by the level loader?

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> But do levels with only supaplex elements in it you make in RnD always get such a border then?
> Or only the levels which are read by the level loader?

All levels that are either native Supaplex levels (native SP level files not created by R'n'D) or that are told to use the native Supaplex engine in the R'n'D level editor.
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

Heh, I imagine one of the versions after implementing SP will be to bring some of the better features of SP into the main engine.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Heh, I imagine one of the versions after implementing SP will be to bring some of the better
> features of SP into the main engine.

Hmm, of which features are you thinking exactly?
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

Oh, I was just thinking of the wrap-around thing he mentioned, the cascade-electron thing, and the Murphy clones you have to protect. Just the kinds of playthings that are hard or impossible with CEs...
bojster

Post by bojster »

Well, these things are possible with original Supaplex engine, aren't they? Then they will be possible with the new, Supaplex-compatible RnD engine, right? Right.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Oh, I was just thinking of the wrap-around thing he mentioned, the cascade-electron thing,
> and the Murphy clones you have to protect. Just the kinds of playthings that are hard or
> impossible with CEs...

The wrap-around thing would indeed need special programming, but the other two should be possible using CEs (more or less). For example, to create Murphy clones, just define CEs and kill the player (by teleporting him next to a robot, for the most simple case) when something nasty touches or smashes them.

> Well, these things are possible with original Supaplex engine, aren't they? Then they will be
> possible with the new, Supaplex-compatible RnD engine, right? Right.

More or less, but always remember: To be precise, there will be no "Supaplex-compatible RnD engine", but "only" an additional, very compatible SP engine to choose as an alternative to the normal R'n'D engine. So, for example, CEs won't work in the SP engine, but only native SP elements. This engine will mainly be designed to play all these original SP levels which need maximum compatibility to be solvable.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Holger wrote:More or less, but always remember: To be precise, there will be no "Supaplex-compatible RnD engine", but "only" an additional, very compatible SP engine to choose as an alternative to the normal R'n'D engine. So, for example, CEs won't work in the SP engine, but only native SP elements. This engine will mainly be designed to play all these original SP levels which need maximum compatibility to be solvable.
And that's what I like! I like CE's very much, but not always when they are together with the poor Murphy in a level! Murphy does not always like unfamiliar elements!
Rockford is another story

bojster

Post by bojster »

Very nice :-)